We are looking for a Director of Engineering to join our leadership team at the JW Marriott The Rosseau Muskoka. This is a critical role within our resort and reports to the General Manager. The key to our success is Guest Satisfaction. The Director of Engineering is responsible for the leadership and supervision of the maintenance and engineering teams to maintain the resort in accordance with the JW Marriott standards.
JW Marriott is part of Marriott International's luxury portfolio and consists of more than 80 beautiful properties in gateway cities and distinctive resort locations around the world. JW believes our associates come first, because if you’re happy, our guests will be happy. It’s as simple as that. Our hotels offer a work experience unlike any other, where you’ll be part of a community and enjoy a true camaraderie with a diverse group of co-workers. JW creates opportunities for training, development, and recognition and most importantly, a place where you can really pursue your passions in a luxury environment. Treating guests exceptionally starts with the way we take care of our associates. That’s The JW Treatment™.
Our resort is located in the heart of Muskoka's pristine natural beauty and near well-known attractions with limitless luxury, scenic views of gorgeous Lake Rosseau, luxury guest rooms and suites, award-winning on-site restaurants, a signature spa, year-round indoor/outdoor swimming pool, newly-renovated lobby and restaurants, and over 13,000 square feet of intuitively-designed, contemporary venue space.
The Director of Engineering has overall responsibility for leading the maintenance and engineering teams to maintain the resort, grounds and physical plant with particular attention towards safety, security and asset protection. They are accountable for managing a budget, capital expenditure projects, preventative maintenance and energy conservation programs. They will maintain standards and regulatory requirements related to the building operations and will lead the emergency response team for all facility issues.
- Responsible for the maintenance and repairs of the resort in accordance with the JW Marriott standards
- Ensure prompt and professional response to guest's maintenance needs ensuring courteous service to hotel standards
- Managing a budget to meet/exceed financial goals
- Maintain the physical appearance and operational efficiency of the hotel including physical, mechanical, electrical and plumbing
- Manages the physical plant including equipment, refrigeration, HVAC, plumbing, water treatment and electrical systems in accordance with Standard Operating Procedures.
- Responsible for the cleanliness and safety aspects of all plant and mechanical equipment rooms
- Ensure property, grounds, physical plant and work areas are maintained to standard and that all safety equipment and conditions are to code
- Manages all Marriott specific applications related to engineering and complete “land it tasks projects”.
- Administers service contracts to support property needs
- Develops an engineering operating strategy that is aligned with the property/brand’s business strategy including both short and long term planning and day-to-day operations
- Reviews financial reports and statements to determine how Engineering is performing against budget.
- Hire, trains and coaches an engineering team to ensure optimum performance
- Develop and manage a sustainable rooms preventive maintenance plan with an inventory rotation 3 times per year.
- Oversees execution of long-term preventative maintenance and 10-year asset protection plans
- Addresses potential areas of concern and proposing solutions to owners in a proactive manner
- Communicates a clear and consistent message regarding departmental goals to produce desired results
- Ensures fire crew has complete understanding of all procedures, equipment and alarms
- Manages and controls heat, light and power
- Supervises resort construction to ensure timely completion of projects within budgetary guidelines
- Assess Engineering team performance to ensure compliance with the JW Marriott standards
- Attend all Facility Management/Property meetings as required, passing on necessary information to the maintenance team in regular staff meeting
- Train engineering department staff on correct maintenance procedures and assists in repairs as needed
- Develop, implement, and direct all emergency programs including; fire, life and safety and all other ministry regulations
- Develop, implement and manage energy conservation programs for the property to minimise expenses
- Manages the Capital Expenditures and accountable for these to the General Manager and Owner
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- 6 years experience in the engineering and maintenance or related professional area; technical training in HVAC-R/Electrical/Plumbing.
- 2-year diploma or degree from an accredited college or university in Building and Construction, Engineering, Mechanics, or related major
- 4 years experience in the engineering and maintenance or related professional area
- Technical training in HVAC-R/Electrical/Plumbing
- Previous experience is managing remote property and managing, sewage, propane and generator plants.
- Must be able to work flexible hours including evenings, weekends and holidays
- Stand, sit or walk for an extended period of time or for an entire shift
- Reach overhead and below the knees, including bending, twisting and pulling
- Move over sloping, uneven or slippery surfaces
JW Marriott The Rosseau Muskoka is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environment in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). The Human Resources department will work with applicants requesting accommodations at any stage of the hiring process.
JW Marriott The Rosseau Muskoka is committed to building a more diverse workplace and encourages all qualified applicants to apply.
Job Type: Full-time