LOCATION: Summerland Seniors Village
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Reporting to the Executive Chef, the Cook 1 is responsible for the daily production, delivery and service of items from a designated menu, maintenance of a safe sanitary workplace, and participating in the smooth operation of the department.
Include but not limited to:
- Responsible for the production, delivery and service of assigned menu items using standardized recipes ensuring standard department policies, procedures and safe food handling techniques are used at all times.
- Ensures the proper preparation, delivery and storage of food to ensure safety of residents, guests and the public. Performs audits testing the palatability and temperature of foods and take corrective action as necessary.
- Maintains established food rotations in storage in order to minimize spoilage and waste.
- Practices and maintains cleanliness and sanitation according to required standards set by the Health Department and the facility.
- Assists the Food Services Manager in the organization and evaluation of Food Services to ensure a high standard of Food Services by providing constructive suggestions and feedback.
- Promotes and maintains positive communication and relationships among management, staff, residents, and the public.
- In the absence of the Food Services Manager/Chef/Lead Cook, and/or Cook 2 the Cook 1, is responsible for the supervision of department production and service, staff, including direction of staff, interdepartmental communications, and emergencies.
- Other related duties as required.
- Grade 12 or equivalent
- Graduation from a recognized program in cooking or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- "Food Safe Level 1" Certificate.
- Knowledge and experience with cooking, butchery, baking, kitchen equipment and machines.
- Two years’ experience in hotels, restaurants or institutions.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position and operate related equipment.
- An aptitude toward detail and creativity with good planning and organizational skills.
- Ability to develop and maintain harmonious relationship with all levels of personnel and residents.
- Ability to work independently and follow instructions with minimal supervision.
- Ability to communicated well in written and oral English.
- Ability to demonstrate tact, diplomacy, empathy and patience when working with staff and residents.
Job Type: Casual
Salary: $19.41 per hour
- hotel, restaurants or institutions: 2 years (Preferred)
- Food Safe Level 1 (Preferred)