Michael Garron Hospital (MGH) is an award-winning hospital and one of Toronto's best-kept secrets. As Ontario’s leading community teaching hospital, MGH has proudly served the diverse, multi-cultural community of east Toronto since 1929 and is known for its friendliness and sense of community within Canada's largest city. Recognized as a leader in workplace wellness and offering a quality work environment focused on learning and development, MGH invests in people to meet their professional goals and to reach their personal best.
Currently we have an exciting opportunity for an individual who wants to advance their career as a
Registered Nurse, Operating Room
(Part-Time, 0.5 FTE)
Registered Nurses possess a defined body of advanced knowledge, clinical skills, and procedural skills and professional attitudes, which are directed to effective patient and family-centered care. Registered Nurses have a pivotal role in care planning, coordination and delivery and in ensuring high level functioning of the health care team as well as serving as the leader in a coordinated care model. RNs apply both their clinical knowledge as well as their leadership skills to collect and interpret information, make appropriate nursing clinical decisions, and carry out therapeutic nursing interventions. Their care is characterized by up-to-date, ethical, and resource-efficient clinical practice as well as with effective communication in partnership with patients and families and other health care providers.
- Registered Nurse with current Certificate of Registration issued by the College of Nurses of Ontario.
- OR certification from an accredited college program (acquired within the last year) – Certificate required.
- Current BLS certification is required.
- 2-4 years' recent experience in an acute care setting in the Surgical Suite / Ambulatory environment that includes and not limited to assisting, scrubbing /circulating and /or /providing retraction / abdominal thrust for procedures of the operating room, and ambulatory services, as well as services of endoscopy, urology and minor surgery – required.
- Must be able to demonstrate the ability to work independently within the Surgical /Ambulatory services environment to maintain patient flow.
- Demonstrated knowledge of surgical / ambulatory procedures (including set up) and the continuum of care for the surgical patient that includes the pre-intra-post surgery patient experience.
- Must be able to demonstrate the ability to set up and care in the diverse minor surgery procedures and demonstrates and anticipates the needs of the patients.
- Demonstrated motivation to pursue educational goals.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with a highly skilled interdisciplinary team.
- Demonstrated ability to implement plan of care including independent and interdependent nursing functions.
- Work is moderately heavy involving lifting, considerable walking, standing, bending, pushing and pulling of equipment and stretchers.
- Demonstrated abilityin understanding the unique needs of the surgical patient.
- Demonstrated competence and willingness to work at the full scope of practice (as outlined by CNO).
- Demonstrated ability to participate in unit quality initiatives and measurements.
-Demonstrated understanding of accountability based practice.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Good work and attendance record required.
- Must be willing to work in all areas of the Surgery Health Service (skills & abilities considered)
- Must be prepared to take on-call and standby on night shifts, work in early ophthalmology shifts - 0600, 0630- required.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrates the ability to provide problem solving and organizational skills that supports the unit’s / rooms flow.
- Demonstrates the ability to work independently
- Motivated to pursue educational goals.
- Good work and attendance record is required.
- All employees of Michael Garron Hospital (MGH), a division of Toronto East Health Network (TEHN) [formerly Toronto East General Hospital (TEGH)] agree to work within the legislated practices of the Occupational Health and Safety Act of Ontario.
- All employees of MGH are responsible to contribute to a transparent culture of patient and staff safety by adhering to and abiding by patient and staff safety policies and procedures set by MGH.
- All employees are accountable for protecting the psychological health and safety of themselves and their co-workers through adherence to MGH'spolicies and practices.
If you are ready to join MGH, Please visit www.tehn.ca * > Careers > How to Apply to download the *application form
Send your resume & application form indicating “OR1916” in the subject line
Michael Garron Hospital fosters an inclusive and diverse work environment. We are committed to providing accommodations for applicants upon request at any stage of the recruitment process. Should you require an accommodation, please let us know how we can work with you to meet your needs.
Our diverse staff is our most valued resource.
Compassion, Integrity, Courage and Accountability are the values that set Michael Garron Hospital apart
Job Type: Part-time