Nature and Scope
This is a food serving role, working in all areas of Food Services as an important member of the Kitchen team. This employee reports to the Manager of Food Services .The Server takes a hands-on, positive, and proactive approach to all aspects of front of house practices. This Role can be varied as you could be working in various areas throughout the dining area including the McNeill’s café; you will be required to provide excellent communication skills and friendly service on an ongoing basis to all students, staff and guests in the Dining Area and Servery for efficient and on-time meal service. Ensuring all aspects of their work are in compliance with applicable health and safety regulations and strictly adhering to all sanitary and safe food handling guidelines outlined in our allergy management procedure. Conducts self and exemplifies behaviours towards others in accordance with the School’s respectful workplace culture.
Responsible for opening, closing and operating the dining areas of Food Services, including:
- Readying the Servery for breakfast, lunch and dinner service.
- Assisting with tasks from immediate supervisor (1st cook) and the Sous chef
- Checking all equipment such as toasters, juice machines, coffee makers to make sure clean and in working order.
- Maintaining a clean work area
- Preparing all cold breakfast items such as cereals, breads, jams, yogurts and fruits
- Preparing all condiments needed for lunch or dinner
- Writing menu board.
- After service wiping down of all tables and chairs.
- Wiping down counters and clean all glass surfaces after services.
- Cleaning of floors and walls
- Assisting with school events, special events and weddings.
- Following the allergy management procedure
- Ensuring proper rotation of food stocks (FIFO)
- Assisting the team when needed may be required to help in the kitchen or dish area during busy periods
Responsible for the opening and closing of the café and the daily operation including
- Preparing and selling coffee drinks, baked sweets, savories and cold drinks by following prescribed recipes and preparation techniques
- Preparing fruits and vegetables for smoothies and drink specials
- Maintains inventories by replenishing coffee beans; cold drinks, dry stock, syrups, cups, lids as needed and on an ongoing basis
- Maintain proper food preparation levels to not run low during service times and requesting help when needed
- Assisting in coaching, mentoring and training of new staff
- Cleaning and maintaining a clean environment throughout the day
- Showing interest and growth in the café suggesting menu ideas and new drink trends
- Work as a team with other employees in the Food Services Department; perform other duties as required.
Education / Experience:
- Grade 12 education required, with some post-secondary education preferred;
- Current certification in Food Safe and WHMIS;
- Serving it Right (SIR) and First Aid would both be considered assets;
- At least 3 years’ experience in a similar role that requires a high level of attention to detail, and high standards of personal and environmental cleanliness, such as in a large restaurant, hotel, cleaning service or working in another institutional setting performing all aspects of a similar role.
- Demonstrated experience and ability to multi-task; works well under pressure and able to meet deadlines;
- Excellent communication /listening skills, both oral and written;
- Ability to work independently and undertake all aspects of the role without daily or on-going or specific direction, and as part of a team. Must be self-motivated with the ability to deal with minor problems, extraordinary issues or variances to routine without supervisory assistance;
- Must have a level of physical fitness suitable to perform the manual tasks and physical demands of this position;
- Serving knowledge and experience in a restaurant or institution;
- Bartending skills or similar experience in a restaurant or Banquet setting an asset;
- Must demonstrate the skills and ability to work as a team player at all times.
- Work normally requires a high level of physical effort: lifting, bending, twisting, reaching, grasping, etc. occasional requirement to lift pots, pans, dishes and other items up to 50 lb.;
- Work normally requires a low to moderate level of mental effort in assessing, problem-solving, reading, organizing, and handling repetitive tasks amid distractions and interruptions;
- The cleaning portion of this role requires a moderate level of physical exertion for extended periods;
- Works in a fast-paced modern kitchen and campus environment that operates 7 days a week;
- Day, afternoon, and evening shifts of varying duration, including weekends, are scheduled on a regular and relief basis. Occasional additional hours may be required according to operational needs;
- Successful clearance of a Criminal Record Check is a condition of initial and ongoing employment;
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
Job Type: Part-time
- waitress: 1 year (Preferred)
- serving: 1 year (Preferred)
- Smart Serve, SIR or equivalent (Preferred)
- English (Preferred)
- French (Preferred)