Across our three hospitals and eight satellite sites, Scarborough Health Network (SHN) is shaping the future of care. Our many programs and services are designed around the needs of one of Canada’s most vibrant and diverse communities. We are home to North America’s largest nephrology program, as well as the designated cardiac care and spine centre for Scarborough and surrounding communities to the east. We are proud to be a community-affiliated teaching site for the University of Toronto and partner with a number of other universities and colleges, helping to train the next generation of health care professionals. Learn more at shn.ca
At Scarborough Health Network (SHN), the patient experience comes first. That's why we are looking for a skilled, compassionate and committed professional to help us provide excellent patient-and family-driven care within our Birchmount Emergency department. Working with our many community and government partners, patients, staff, physicians, volunteers, and donors, Scarborough Health Network (SHN) is transforming patient care and outcomes today, and charting a new course to create a healthier tomorrow.
Reporting to the Program Director for Critical Care Emergency Department, , & Respiratory Therapy, this position is responsible for providing creative and innovative leadership for the delivery of quality patient care within the Emergency Department. The incumbent will fulfill managerial responsibilities encompassing best practices in human, financial, clinical, quality, risk and environmental areas.
We are seeking an innovative, self-directed, results-oriented professional who will demonstrate a visionary and collaborative leadership style. You will be responsible for the overall management of the human and fiscal resources required to meet the patient care needs and integration of quality and patient safety initiatives. You will have an integral role in strategic planning, program development, management of volumes, including wait times, and quality monitoring.
Scarborough Health Network is one of the largest Community Teaching hospitals in Ontario and gaining a reputation in the health care industry for our innovative and sustained approach to the enterprise-wide deployment of Lean thinking as the fundamental philosophy underpinning our transformation efforts. As part of our new Strategic Plan-on-a-Page and commitment to continuous improvement, the Hospital will provide all of its staff and physicians with the knowledge, tools, and support required to lead the industry in defining and delivering the best healthcare experience.
Company Vacancy/Request for Transfer:
The completion of this online form serves as your application and will be used to determine if you meet the requirements of this position. Please ensure that you have provided all pertinent information necessary to be considered for this vacancy by the close date.
- Baccalaureate degree in Health Sciences with a commitment to continuing education with membership in relevant professional association; Master’s Degree required
- Recent relevant managerial experience, including managerial accountability, in a Health Care environment
- Registration in good standing with the College of Nurses
- Experience in a unionized multi-site setting and a strong knowledge of the external economic environment required
- Demonstrated experience in leading change initiatives and managing projects with interdisciplinary teams
- Demonstrated skills in change management, project management and human resources management within interdisciplinary teams
- Understanding of Ontario Wait Times Pay for Results program
- Demonstrated ability to lead quality management activities
- Strong business and financial management experience
- Thorough understanding of utilization management and benchmarking
- Evidence of planning, analytical and organizational experience
- Experience working with, and a demonstrated commitment to utilization of Lean methodologies and principles, or equivalent
- Ability to work effectively and demonstrates composure under pressure/ stressful conditions and to meet multiple and competing deadlines
- Demonstrated ability to plan, organize, set and accomplish goals and objectives in a complex fast paced environment
- Strong strategic thinking, negotiating, management, clinical planning and Human Resource management skills
- Demonstrated ability to lead change effectively (transformational leadership) with exceptional communication skills (written and verbal), team building across the hospital and health care system
- Demonstrated experience with MS Office suite of programs
- Ability to work independently and as a part of a collaborative team
- Demonstrates a commitment to customer service when dealing with patients, colleagues, volunteers and other members of the community and public
- Demonstrates values consistent with SHN’s Code of Conduct and is committed to fostering a healthy and positive work environment in accordance with Health & Safety policy and legislation
- Utilize protective equipment provided and identify and reports hazards
- Engages in ethical conduct and strives to understand and appreciate the diversity of our patient/staff population and community
- Excellent work performance and attendance
Scarborough Health Network (SHN) embraces and celebrates our community’s unique multicultural heritage and diversity. SHN is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a culture of inclusiveness and diversity reflecting our diverse patients, staff and community alike. We are committed to providing barrier-free and accessible employment practices in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Should you require accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please make them known when contacted and we will work with you to meet your needs.