- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related technical discipline
- Have a minimum of 8 years in hands-on, software development experience
- Minimum of 3+ years building and managing diverse and technically deep teams
- Track record of building and delivering mission critical, 24x7 production software systems
- Experience leading engineering teams in software development methodologies
- Experience defining software roadmaps to meet organizational business goals
- Experience with real-time, high throughput & low latency systems
- Knowledge of Unix/Linux, C++, or Java, Object oriented design and Service Oriented Architecture.
- Experience with distributed systems
Leading brands like Epic Games, Lyft, AirBnB, John Deere, and Vanguard use Amazon Kinesis Data Streams as their foundation for real-time streaming data. With Amazon Kinesis, customers process Gigabytes per second of real-time user engagement data for gaming and marketing analytics, build real-time IoT sensor data analytics solutions, analyze millions of financial transactions in real time, perform network intrusion detection for security analytics, transform and load logs into data lakes, and much more. These customers, choose Kinesis because it is a fully-managed service that makes real-time streaming data ingestion and processing, reliable, easy, and at low cost. Tens of thousands of customers worldwide, ranging from large commercial enterprises, federal and state governments, regulated industries like healthcare and finance, to small start-ups have moved from batch to streaming with Amazon Kinesis Data Streams, and we are just getting started.
Amazon Kinesis Data Streams already operates at unprecedented scale, while upholding performance and durability requirements that our customers care about. You will lead the software development of large-scale distributed purpose built control and data plane systems; in Java, C/C++ and other languages using open source technologies and Amazon proprietary technologies. Some of the key capabilities you will own and drive include massive-scale REST-ful as well as HTTP2/ streaming services, elastically scalable data planes that can respond in single digit-seconds to changes in traffic, distributed management and monitoring plane workflows, and software libraries that our customers use to interact with the service, and more.
We are looking for an experienced Software Development Manager to join our leadership team. On Amazon Kinesis, we hire hands-on managers at all levels. This leader is expected to be deeply technical, and detail-oriented diving into engineering, operations, and product. You’ll need to excel at hiring and developing both systems level and application level engineers. Our services operate at large scale and on critical workloads, so a passion and discipline around operational excellence is key. You’ll also need to be willing to share big ideas and execute to deliver the next big innovations at rapid pace.
We are excited about the incredible opportunity that streaming data on the cloud represents. You will get to experience a hyper-growth environment but at the same time deliver high quality services that tens of thousands of customers, including all of Amazon, already rely on for their business. You will have a key role in is driving new ways in which customers interact with their data, and be encouraged to share big ideas. You will be part of a diverse and collegial team that is geographically distributed but unified in its purpose of making streaming data broadly useful for developers of all skill sets.
- Ideally 5+ years of direct people management experience
- Have a passion for people management and mentorship
- Possess excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Possess strong analytical skills, with excellent problem solving abilities
- Experience driving complex, cross-organizational projects
- Experience creating and driving a bold vision
- REST Architecture, Data Sharding, Online Transaction Processing, and associated technologies