HSB BI&I is a leader in providing specialized equipment breakdown insurance. We provide insurance
and reinsurance to Canadian and global businesses through our coast to coast network of offices, 4,000
independent insurance brokers and over 50 major insurance companies. HSB BI&I is a member of the
Hartford Steam Boiler Group and part of the global Munich Re Group of Companies.
- We have over 140 years of experience and through our modern systems and practices remain
unsurpassed in meeting our customers’ needs.
- You can become an expert in your field while enjoying a healthy work/life balance and a collaborative,
friendly atmosphere in our offices.
We invite you to learn more about us at our website:
- We offer a comprehensive benefits program to our employees.
The Product and Pricing Analyst conducts qualitative and quantitative data analysis to assist in pricing
and rating new and existing products, as well as in identifying new business opportunities, in order to
facilitate the Company planning process. In partnership with the Head Office Underwriting team, the
Product and Pricing Analyst contributes to challenging projects to ensure the profitable management and
competitiveness of HSB BI&I’s insurance products. Reporting to the Manager, Underwriting, this role is
located at our Head Office in downtown Toronto and is ideal for an innovative thinker with a problem
solving mindset, who is eager to learn.
- Prepare and evaluate monthly, quarterly and annual internal product line and underwriting
reports regarding status, profitability, renewal projections and rates;
- Design and create automated reports as well as Power BI Dashboard for data retrieval and
analysis as needed;
- Continuously build, improve and innovate data, analytics and reporting capabilities;
- Apply pricing components and rating methodology to price product based on thorough analysis,
risk characteristics, statistical analysis and competitive analysis;
- Analyze rate adequacy, including loss and premium trends, production of rate indicators and
development of rating structures using actuarial models;
- Contribute to the development of materials to support new programs, processes, products and
solicit inputs from stakeholders;
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders such as Finance, Operation and Claims to optimize
analytical and supporting system and process performance;
- Support the market facing teams in their needs for data processing, analysis, mining of data and
- Drive and deliver on existing projects, and participate in additional complex projects as needed;
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Mathematics or Statistics.
- 3-5 years of experience with the ability to compile, analyze, present and interpret financial and
statistical information from multiple sources to facilitate decision making.
- Insurance analytics experience including a strong understanding of earned premium, incurred
claims, loss development and deriving loss costs; P&C personal lines experience preferred.
- Advanced Microsoft Office Skills and capabilities in computer application software, knowledge of
databases, analytics tools, and experience with data cubes.
- Deep knowledge of MS Access and Power BI.
- Organizational and time management skills to prioritize workloads and multiple projects and meet
time sensitive deadlines with high degree of accuracy.
- Excellent Interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strong team player able to contribute in a collaborative environment.
- Expert analytical skills.
- Ability to translate findings from analytics to concrete suggestion for business opportunities.
Creating and maintaining a work environment that promotes respect, diversity and dignity is important to
us. We strive for equality in our workplace, to eliminate employment barriers, and promote a workplace
based on principles which align with our company values and promote positive employee practices.
Candidates requiring accommodation during any stage of our selection process should advise us of this;
we will strive to work with individuals to find a suitable means to meet their needs.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please quote Job Reference PPA.0120-BW and send a
covering letter along with a resume to:
We thank all candidates for their interest; however only those selected for interview will be contacted.