This position is a hybrid of Business Development and Operations Management. This position will be the local manager as GRIDSMART expands presence in Canada. The primary responsibility will be to identify, advocate and pursue business development opportunities/strategies to grow revenue in Canada. Business Development Managers are the driving force for revenue including establishing and maintaining the primary customer relationship including customer contact, coordination, and correspondence. This position typically works under limited supervision and direction. Incumbents of this position will regularly exercise discretionary and substantial decision-making authority. Additionally, this position will also require the oversight of a local office to ensure compliance with Canada regulations from invoicing, inventory management and other functions as needed.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Effectively sell the benefits and value of GRIDSMART and reach business targets through effective management of designated territories.
- Identifies new business opportunities for deployment of GRIDSMART and other Cubic product solutions via integration of ITS technology.
- Strengthen current customer bonds and convert competitor’s customers by providing ITS solutions available from Cubic suite of products.
- Conducts physical visits to customer sites to provide demonstrations of company products and understand their current ITS platforms.
- Generate, develop and penetrate new customer and target accounts to increase revenue, by research and direct customer visits.
- Actively manage customer relationships by managing call/visit schedule to adequately cover assigned territory
. Responsible and accountable for the technical support of various customer projects and assist with scheduling and prioritization of FAE schedules.
- Research and evaluate integration of our ITS technology to clientele’s current technology. Confers with customer technical representatives and management to determine customer requirements and explain our solutions.
- Use customer and prospect data from applicable sales management software tools to maximize sales efficiency and effectiveness.
- Maintain accurate and timely records, including sales call reports, expense reimbursement forms, billing invoices, and other documentation; maintain sales information in the CRM system at least weekly
- Detect and effectively communicate competitor activities, market conditions and account intelligence to company executives.
- Provides input for accurate and realistic sales forecast estimates to Manager.
- Participates in the preparation of the strategic sales plan for Canada.
- Search and review Canada RFPs, RFQ’s, RFIs and other requests for information, relative to company products and generate proposals and quotes as necessary.
- Serve as a project management resource if needed in deployment of integrated solutions from company.
- Analyze sites, plans and schematics for the purpose of making recommendations and proposals.
- Ensure proper staffing of office with candidates possessing the required skills and expertise to accomplish goals. This
may include administrative, technical and sales staff with management approval.
- Proactively manage Risk by holding regular risk management activities to continuously identify, analyze, monitor and
control program risks within the region.
- Proactively manage Quality by ensuring, in conjunction with Manager that processes are followed for all work performed and all products delivered satisfy all requirements prior to delivery.
- Create staffing profiles, schedules and budgets in support of the plan and profit goals for the Region.
- Lead negotiations as required with the customer.
- Conduct employee reviews as necessary and provide reports to management as required.
- Conduct regular region evaluation and review meetings to identify current and future problems and initiate actions for
- Prepare and submit progress reports and presentations to higher management, to the customer, and when required
Interface with internal departments through designated channels.
Minimum Job Requirements:
Four-year college degree in engineering, business management, or business development, plus eight years’ experience
in a position preferably outside sales and territory management. Experience in strategic planning and execution.
Knowledge of operational management, negotiating, and change management. Knowledge of structuring goals and
revenue/budget expectations. Experience in developing customer relationships, closing sales and regional territory
management with distribution network. Must have extensive experience in the design and operations of traffic signals,
traffic signal optimization, and signal systems. Must possess the ability to proficiently design, manage and review
Traffic/ITS plans as is necessary for presenting quotes. Must have excellent communication, negotiation and presentation
skills. Solid experience in opportunity qualification, pre-visit planning, call control, account development and channel
management. Strongly motivated by performance-based compensation. Able to prioritize work, complete multiple tasks
and work under deadlines. Must be able to travel as required, and up to 4 nights per week if needed. Some travel within
defined territory may not require overnight travel.
Position is based in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, and reports to International Manager. This Territory includes all of
Canada. Residence is required within the territory; relocation assistance is not available.
The description provided above is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all job duties, responsibilities and requirements. Duties,
responsibilities and requirements may change over time and according to business need