Position: Swine Nutritionist and Production Specialist
Company: Triple M Livestock Premix & Consulting Ltd. (doing business as Gowans Feed Consulting) (“Gowans”)
Gowans is a leading independent animal nutrition and production management consulting company. Gowans was founded in October of 1989 in Alberta and is headquartered in Wainwright, Alberta.
Serving animal producers since 1990, Gowans is focused on maximizing our clients’ net returns by providing industry leading expertise in the fields of nutrition, production management support, input cost reduction and research to pork, poultry and beef producers.
We currently need a Swine Nutritionist and Production Specialist to support growing demand for our services in Canada.
Summary of the Position:
The Swine Nutritionist and Production Specialist position will be part our Swine Nutritionteam.
· Provide nutrition and production management services to clients with a focus on decreasing feed cost per pig and optimizing production performance, efficiency and profits.
- Provide swine production management services to clients with a focus on increasing production performance, efficiency, profits and reducing costs.
- Provide measurable improvements on client farms biological performance and profits.
- Perform regular ingredient input cost reviews and best cost formulation of diets.
- Manage and update ingredient nutrient profiles.
- Perform quality control analysis of feed manufacturing procedures.
- Feed mill audits and reviews.
- Setup, review and audit implementation of feeding programs in barns.
- Attend regular farm visits to clients to consult with farm managers on all areas of production: Breeding, Gestation, Farrowing, Nursery & Finishing.
- Review client production data and identify opportunities to increase profits through management practice changes to improve productivity or reduce input costs.
- Develop, demonstrate and lead improvement strategies for client farms.
- Provide client farm staff training on essential production and leadership skills.
- Conduct ventilation assessments and provide recommendations and training to improve.
- Assess utilities costs and provide recommendations to reduce costs to clients.
- Perform trouble shooting on production challenges at client farms.
- Review current research and implement new technologies on client farms.
- Minimum PhD’s degree in Animal Science, Poultry Science or a related discipline and with a focus on monogastric livestock species.
- Recent work or academic experience from the past five years in monogastric livestock species.
- Minimum two years of recent work experience from the past three years in swine production management and nutrition; and experience in working with modern swine production systems.
- Experience with technical sales process.
- Experience in evaluating impact of management strategies on sow health seen as a benefit.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook).
- Proficient with farm management software (PigChamp and/or MetaFarms).
- Proficient with nutrition software (Brill and/or Format).
- Successful candidates must be available to travel as needed within and outside of Canada.
The annual base salary depends on the candidate’s level of experience. The range is from CAD$84,000 to CAD$120,000 per year.
- 15 vacation days per year;
- Dental; and
Language of Work:
Location of Work:
Please note this is a home office based position located in Alberta requiring regular travel to client farms across Alberta. Given this, the successful candidate may work anywhere in Alberta, subject to the candidate can travel to client farms across Alberta.
In addition, the candidate will be required to work in our office in Wainwright, Alberta located at 1811 - 19th Avenue, Wainwright, Alberta T9W 1L2.
Full Time, Permanent Position.
As soon as possible.
- NOC Group: 2121
- NOC Job Title: Biologists and related scientists
- Dental care
- Extended health care
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $85,000.00-$120,000.00 per year
- swine nutrition: 2 years (Required)