Media in Canada, an online, daily national news outlet that covers the media, advertising and technology industries, is looking for an Editor to join our team of business journalists.
Through our website and email newsletters, Media in Canada’s coverage informs buyers and planners on what they need to know about the industry they work in. Our stories comprehensively cover what’s happening at the biggest companies in TV, newspapers, social media and technology; the latest trends in advertising, media consumption and emerging platforms; and major issues like data privacy and sustainability, all through a business lens.
Media in Canada is a sister site of Strategy, which reaches a deeply engaged audience of marketing professionals and ad agency execs with news and features through our website, email newsletters and print magazine. The broader Strategy brand also includes several specialty newsletters and an influential portfolio of conferences, forums and awards programs.
We're looking for an Editor to join the Media in Canada team to develop, write and edit the daily news, as well as distribute our email newsletter.
In collaboration with our other editors and reporters, you'll apply a business lens to identify the issues, trends and ideas that would be most relevant to industry readers. You'll be tasked with generating short- and long-term story ideas, planning the lineup for the daily newsletter, assigning stories to reporters and editing their work, as well as writing stories yourself.
Covering media is an excellent opportunity for both experienced business journalists and those looking to expand their knowledge base. Media is one of the fastest-moving sectors of marketing, which means there's plenty to cover when it comes to things like innovation, technology, data, lobbying, public policy and the broader business world. It also gives you the opportunity to cover important topics like sustainability, diversity, data privacy and the future of working.
If the job sounds interesting but you don't think you have the right experience level, apply anyway! We're always interested in talking to talented journalists looking for new challenges – if this role isn't a fit, we will keep you in mind for other opportunities.
The Strategy and Media in Canada teams are currently working in a hybrid model, splitting our time between working from home and in our downtown Toronto office.
- four or more years experience working as an editor at a news outlet (an online news site is ideal, but we are interested in hearing from people with experience at newspapers and magazines – anything that has required you to keep up with a daily news cycle)
- experience with business journalism and email newsletters is not required, but would be considered an asset
- demonstrated ability to manage a daily news lineup and beat coverage, including generating story ideas, research, assigning stories and editing
- adept at using CP Style, with an eye for detail and copy consistency
- experience and comfort with establishing and maintaining key editorial relationships with executive-level contacts and sources
- team player attitude and comfortable working on a small editorial team
- clever and authoritative editorial voice, strong editorial standards and sound judgment
- strong time management and organizational skills
What's in it for you
- competitive salary, commensurate with experience level
- health benefits, including dental, vision and mental health, as well as basic life insurance and long term disability
- two weeks of paid vacation to start, along with several bonus days off annually
- membership in corporate perk and discount programs
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, resume and links to at least three examples of published work or an online portfolio to Josh Kolm, Strategy's Digital Editor, at jkolm [at] brunico [dot] com. Please include "Editor, Media in Canada" in the subject line. Your samples can be a mix of your own reporting and stories on which you were the primary editor.
Please only submit applications through email, but be sure to mention where you saw this posting.
Brunico Communications Ltd. is committed to building a diverse workforce representative of the communities we serve. We are proud to be in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), 2005 and the Integrated Accessibility Standards Regulation. Accommodation will be provided in all parts of the recruitment and assessment (if applicable) process as required under Brunico Communications Ltd’s Accessibility policies and procedures. Applicants should make any accommodation needs known upon requests for interviews.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $55,000.00-$70,000.00 per year
- Casual dress
- Company events
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision care
- Work from home
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
- Does your application include a cover letter, resume and links to published work, as requested? (If you are unable to submit the required material through Indeed, please apply by email)
Work Location: Hybrid remote in TORONTO, ON