International Student Advisor – Study Abroad
2 Full-Time Positions
Salary $49,015.75 – $61,269.42
Competition # SCHII-18-26
This position is the primary point of contact for international students and will facilitate student mobility programs, provide referrals to services to assist with academic, social, and cultural issues and to increase student success, transition, mobility and retention. This position will assess the needs of international students and help develop strategies to resolve issues efficiently, positively and in a supportive manner. A job fact sheet detailing the required duties is available in the Office of Human Resources.
- Regular meetings with students to discuss issues and concerns,
- Provide general guidance and support related to academic challenges, mental health, cultural and transitional matters, housing concerns and general counselling
- Liaise with University and community partners to create necessary referrals and assistance
- Work collaboratively with the staff in the international office, including the Director and offices responsible for risk management
- Participate in the development of policies to deal with student issues and emergencies related to living abroad or issues arising from the student’s place of origin/residence
- Provide 24 hour on call service as scheduled
- Manage student mobility opportunities, including outreach opportunities to faculty and staff
- Collaborate with chairs, enrolment services and other departments to ensure smooth credit transfer for programs of study
- Maintain partnerships with internal and external community stakeholders, including seeking and arranging guest speakers
- Responsible for development and delivery of support materials, both in print and in digital format
- Provide on-going education and support to university partners related to intercultural competency, visa and scholarship requirements, etc.
- Manage the Peer Mentor and volunteer program
- Develop and delivering workshops on diversity and intercultural training
- Other related duties as required.
- A university degree in a related discipline, and familiarity with university processes and systems
- Experience, knowledge and understanding of academic advising and student counselling
- Conflict resolution and problem solving skills
- The ability to build and maintain positive working relationships with a high degree of cultural and social competency
- Excellent interpersonal skills, diplomacy, tact, discretion and sensitivity to confidentiality;
- Proficiency with computer software programs, including the Microsoft Office and Adobe suites, as well as database management;
- Excellent communication, presentation, organizational and interpersonal skills;
- Ability to multitask a variety of high priority duties and work under the pressure of deadlines;
- Demonstrated ability to provide support and assistance with cultural competency in all interactions;
- Ability to work independently as well as with a team
- Ability to speak a second language would be desirable
- Website and digital media experience
- Understanding of immigration and visa related issues
- Ability to travel as required
Interested applicants are invited to submit a single pdf document quoting competition # SCHII-18-26, that includes a cover letter, resume, Confirmation of Eligibility to Work in Canada form along with the contact information of three work related references by 4:30 p.m. on October 22, 2018 to:
Office of Human Resources
We appreciate your interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be notified.
Lakehead University is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals including women, racialized persons, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities and other equity-seeking groups. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. This is in accordance with Canadian immigration requirements.
Lakehead University is committed to supporting an accessible environment. Applicants requiring accommodation during the interview process should contact the Office of Human Resources at (807) 343.8334 to make appropriate arrangements.
Job Type: Full-time