‘BUILD’ your Future with Habitat for Humanity GTA
Director, Human Resources
155 Bermondsey Road, Toronto, ON
Habitat for Humanity Greater Toronto Area (Habitat GTA) is a nonprofit housing organization that mobilizes volunteers and communities to help working, lower income families build strength, stability, and self-reliance through affordable homeownership. With the help of volunteers, donors, and community partners; we have built more than 400 homes for families, including over 1,300 children in need of safe, decent, and affordable housing. In support of our homebuilding, Habitat GTA operates retail home improvement stores called Habitat ReStore. Our 11 locations across the GTA collects donations of home furnishings, appliances, and renovation materials; and sells them to the public at a fraction of the original price.
What we offer…
- A meaningful opportunity to make a difference in your local community and in the lives of families
- Comprehensive health and dental benefits
- RRSP eligibility
- Flexible work arrangements
- Internal job mobility and developmental opportunities
- Wellness initiatives including EAP and corporate gym membership rate with Goodlife Fitness
As the Safety Lead, you will be a responsible for managing the development, maintenance, and administration of Habitat GTA’s (Habitat GTA) Health & Safety policies and programs, in accordance with organizational health & safety standards and legal regulatory requirements. You will take a proactive approach to health & safety in order to drive continuous improvement, and help promote a positive safety culture across our 10+ ReStores, build sites and office locations in the Brampton/Caledon, York Region and Toronto area. Additionally, you will partner and collaborate with Habitat GTA’s management and teams to work towards our safety, health, and environmental (SHE) goal of zero incidents.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Review Habitat GTA’s Health & Safety policies, goals and objectives to ensure they are appropriate including active construction sites, retail stores, and office environments
- Ensure Habitat GTA’s collection of Health & Safety policies reflect current legislative standards and requirements, as well as organizational practices
- Monitor, continuously research and stay abreast of new and revised legislation, industry trends and best practices to keep policies up to date and current
Program Conceptualization and Implementation
- Oversee vision of Habitat GTA’s health and safety program, and collaborate with key stakeholders in the further development and execution of our comprehensive health and safety program
- Monitor effectiveness of and propose suggestions to improve Habitat GTA’s safety program
- Assist in planning and start-up of other various projects with regards to health and safety
- Coordinate development of site specific Emergency Response Plans
Administration, Evaluation and Documentation
- Manage site-specific processes and procedures for health and safety inspections and investigations to maintain compliance and manage risk
- Manage administration of SiteDocs, Habitat GTA’s recently implemented health and safety management platform, and respond to any inquiries/issues related to the system
- Monitor H&S programs at each location to ensure consistency with procedures, legislative requirements and the site-specific plans. This will involve visiting locations frequently working with site teams to address safety issues and non-conformances to the program.
- Lead and carefully address incident investigations using root cause analysis, documentation and standardized processes, and recommend/implement effective correction and/or prevention measures
- Communicate with internal and external (i.e. MOL) individuals and groups with regards to health and safety
- Manage all workplace investigations, injury reporting, documentation, and claims management to WSIB and other stakeholders as required
- Provide education to Managers and Supervisors on job-specific hazards that support our legal and quality standards and assist in their integration into daily activities
- Monitor key safety performance indicators on various locations and generate respective reports
- In collaboration with the JHSC and management, support the execution and improvement of scheduled and unscheduled health and safety inspections of our 10+ ReStores, active build sites, and office locations to identify, document, and report existing and potential hazards (near-misses), and recommend corrective and/or preventative measures
- Hazard identification and risk assessment, ongoing and particularly when a recognizable change occurs in the workplace (e.g. changes to the physical aspects of the workplace, new positions of responsibility and/or services are added, etc.).
- Conduct reviews to evaluate effectiveness of the health & safety policies and programs that are in place, and identify gaps and solutions
- Management and quality control of Personal Protective Equipment and other Safety equipment (i.e. fire extinguishers, defibrillators etc.)
- Coordinate planning, scheduling, delivery and recording of the Health and Safety Training Orientation and Curriculum to workers, this includes management of safety training and certification for all people leaders to ensure competency
- Develop health and safety communication plans and be responsible for ongoing communication of Health and Safety Program status, changes, issues, challenges and metrics.
- Facilitate and promote a collective team approach to safety across the organization
- Act as an advisor to the Joint Health and Safety Committee to support Health and Safety Program goals and objectives, and respond to their recommendations.
- Maintain statistics, records, and monitor incidents, and prepare Health and Safety reports upon request
- Maintain and enforce health & safety regulations, policies, practices and procedures on an ongoing basis
What You Bring
- Formal education and/or training in Occupational Health and Safety, preferably from a Human Resources background with a specialization in Health & Safety, or equivalent experience
- Certified Health and Safety Professional i.e. CRSP®/PSAC® or CSSE, NCSO
- Minimum 3-5 years’ experience working in a similar role, preferably within the Construction industry
- Strong knowledge of the OHSA and other related Health and Safety legislation
- Safety knowledge in Fall Protection, Fire Protection, Safe Lifting and WHMIS
- Ability to be the visible, front-line representative for health and safety at our offices, build sites and ReStores
- Knowledge and practical experience in incident investigation and site inspections
- Strong administrative, multi-tasking, time management, and planning and organizational skills
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy
- Strong computer proficiency, specifically using Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Office etc.)
- Experience using SiteDocs is an asset
- Excellent interpersonal, communication (both written and verbal), and relationship-building skills
- Presentation skills are an asset
- Flexible, open, and approachable attitude
- Ability to work with minimal supervision as well as within a collaborative team setting
- Valid driver’s license required with access to a vehicle
Willingness to travel to and participate in our various sites (Offices, ReStores and Build sites), as well as be available in the event of critical incidents.
If you are ready to make a change in your local community and become a part of our team at Habitat for Humanity GTA, then submit your resume and cover letter towards the position. Please state your salary expectations in your cover letter.
All applications must be submitted by Friday November 01, 2019.
Your Future at Habitat for Humanity GTA Awaits…
Applicants must be eligible to work in Canada throughout the duration of their employment with Habitat for Humanity GTA. Proof of eligibility will be required.
Habitat for Humanity GTA is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
Habitat for Humanity GTA is committed to ensuring a barrier-free, accessible and inclusive work environment. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Upon individual request, we will endeavor to remove barriers to the hiring process to accommodate candidates with disabilities, providing the applicant has met the bona-fide requirements of the employment position. Please inform us should accommodation be required at any point during the recruitment and selection process.
As part of our selection process, the successful candidate must receive clearance by a police background check.
Internal candidates with the required skill-set are encouraged to apply.
We thank all applicants for their interest in Habitat for Humanity GTA, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Job Type: Full-time
- Health Safety in Construction or Retail: 3 years (Required)
- Bachelor's Degree (Required)
- Greater Toronto Area, ON (Preferred)
- CSSE/NCSO (Preferred)
- CRSP/PSAC (Required)