Volunteer/Practicum Position – Community Clubs Winter 2020
Make a difference in the life of a child
Boys and Girls Clubs of Calgary is a leading provider of quality programs to children and youth, with a $20 million dollar operating budget, that supports the healthy physical, educational and social development of more than 4,000 young people and their families each year.
Come join an energetic and fun team that is committed to providing deserving children and youth with hope for the future. The Boys and Girls Clubs of Calgary provide a supportive environment in which to share your experience, develop your skills, and take on new challenges.
If you are passionate about making a difference in the lives of children, youth and families the Boys and Girls Clubs of Calgary is the place for you!
Our Clubs offer a safe, welcoming place for kids to come after school, make friends, and participate in activities that encourage learning and discovery, health and wellbeing, physical literacy, creative expression, leadership development, and a positive connection to community and family.
We help children and youth build a positive sense of self through supportive adult staff and volunteers, and engaging activities that challenge and enrich the mind, body and spirit of each member. Club programs focus on building life skills, and social and emotional competencies.
With support and direction from the Senior Program Leader, responsibilities of a Community Clubs Practicum Student include but are not limited to:
Ensuring the safety and well-being of all children, youth and families in the program, including staff-assisted group and/or individual behaviour management and support.
Opportunities to plan and implement creative, purposeful, and age-appropriate activities based on assigned program areas with a focus on social emotional learning
Programming which will reflect cultural diversity and include cultural awareness components.
Supporting the staff team with program preparation and collaboration with the wider community
Encouraging children/youth to try new things on their own, and support them to initiate, plan and follow through on their activities.
Managing crisis situations effectively using problem solving and de-escalation skills.
- Fun and energetic environment filled with creative, compassionate, open minded people.
- Great support for work-life balance and flexibility in the workplace.
- The opportunity to professionally develop your skills and coach others.
- The opportunity to volunteer in an agency that has incredible impact in communities in Calgary and surrounding area.
- BGCC is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
- We are looking for caring adults who enjoy building relationships with children and who:
- Arrive prepared and on time for every shift
- Work in a respectful, ethical and strength based approach
- Understand and adhere to agency policy and procedures
- Assist the team in maintaining a clean and tidy work environment
- Participates in regular supervisions with the Senior Program Leader or Program Coordinator
- Maintain a high level of professionalism at all times including the use of personal electronic devices and personal conversations
- Communicate with children, youth and adults from diverse backgrounds and have an understanding and awareness of diversity issues.
- We are looking for practicum students whose availability matches our program needs. Practicum hours are a mix of 10:30 am – 6:30 pm and 1:00 pm – 9:00pm
- A Criminal Record Check with vulnerable sector search and Child Intervention Record Check*
- Successful applicants must provide checks that are within the previous 6 months during practicum onboarding.
We try our best to accommodate as many practicum students as possible (we love it!!) but please note that we receive many applications for placements so cannot respond to all applicants. If you are selected for an interview, you will receive a phone call from a Community Club Program Leader. Thanks so much for your interest in BGCC!