Community Connections: Housing and Support
Outreach Support Worker
Temporary Full Time - to March 2021
Number of Positions:
Manager Apartment & Outreach Programs
Posting Reference #:
Community Connections is a program of CMHA Grey Bruce Mental Health and Addiction Services. The program is funded by the South West Local Health Integration Network and Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care to provide housing and support for adults recovering from serious mental illness.
To provide support for tenants within the portfolio of housing units of Grey County Housing in order to maintain tenancy and assist with improving quality of life. Position duties include assessment and co-developing individual recovery plans, providing counselling, crisis intervention, case management and one-to-one and group supports for people living with mental health and addictions. The position involves moderate physical activity, including the provision of practical assistance for clients in relation to independent activities of daily living. This position provides intensive services to individuals according to a housing first approach through assertive, housing-focused case management.
· 3-year Diploma or Degree in applied health or social sciences (i.e. Social Work, Psychology, Nursing) with a focus on recovery-oriented and housing focused supports
· At least three years of recent experience in mental health and addictions services
· Thorough and practical understanding of mental illness and addictions
· Thorough understanding of individual recovery and client-centred service delivery
· Experience in supporting people with concurrent disorders is required
· Thorough understanding of harm-reduction, trauma informed practice and Housing First philosophy
· Familiarity with psychotropic medications and experience in assisting clients to manage their medications and their primary health-care needs is required
· Demonstrated skill in assessment, crisis management and counselling
· Training and skill regarding motivational interviewing and crisis intervention
· Ability to develop therapeutic rapport and participate in meaningful engagement is essential
· Excellent communication, organizational and relationship skills
· Strong team skills and ability to work well with community and professional groups is essential
· A good sense of humour and the ability to work well under pressure
· Proficiency in use of personal computers for email and data entry
· Must have a valid driver’s licence and daily use of a personal vehicle
· An up to date Criminal Records Check, including a Vulnerable Sector Screening is required prior to starting this position
Rate of Pay (Hourly):
$25.52 - $28.17 (5 step grid)
Hours of Work:
37.5 hours per week and some evening work may be required.
The normal work day is 8 hours, including a 30-minute unpaid lunch break
CMHA Grey Bruce is committed to providing a welcoming and inclusive workplace. We welcome employment applications from people with disabilities and provide accommodation upon request during the recruitment and selection process.
Reference ID: 2019-62
Job Types: Full-time, Temporary
Salary: $25.52 /hour