The Pet Cancer Fund is a Vancouver-based organization whose mission is to increase the life expectancy and improve the quality of life of pets diagnosed with cancer.
Estimates suggest the number of dogs and cats developing cancer every year is 12 million; roughly 6x the number of humans getting cancer yearly within North America.
More needs to be done and as we set out to build a large team of distributed, animal-loving passionate volunteers to help our furry friends, we need experienced marketing guidance as we set out to define our strategy and launch our organization to the broader public.
That’s where and how you can help us.
As our volunteer Director of Communications, you will lead our media relations initiatives to generate press coverage to attain “brand and product” visibility for all that we do. Can you count how many times you’ve seen earned media for any type of human cancer fundraising? Likely not! Now do the same for pet cancer. No? It's one reason why we're setting out to build a leading organization in the field. We're starting at the ground floor with an unlimited ceiling, and we need your experience and contacts to make an impact.
Being a creative thought leader, you will be tasked with driving a strategic approach to media and community relations across the organization to maximize results. We will need you to create and manage an internal division of PR & Communications volunteers, work with external PR agencies when contracted, and to take the lead in teaching our consumer-facing volunteers how to communicate our message authentically.
You will build, coach and mentor a team of many, within your own Communications Department to help you carry out the strategy and vision you help create.
Essential Job Functions:
Communications Strategy, Vision and Leadership
- Develop and implement an integrated, organization wide strategic communications plan to broaden awareness of our non-profit sector, while building PCF’s identity across key stakeholder audiences
- Create a public relations/Communications strategy that will allow PCF executive and board leadership to cultivate and enhance meaningful relationships with targeted, high level external audiences, including the media, public officials and key influencers
- Identify challenges and emerging issues faced by the sector and organization. Work with the board and staff to recognize internal and external communications opportunities and solutions, and define and execute appropriate strategies to support them
- Oversee the continued development and use of the PCF Communications Plan
- Oversee the development of all internal and external communications, to ensure its alignment with the strategic communications plan
- Provide feedback to the Brand & Digital Marketing Departments regarding print & branded materials
- Provide feedback and guidance to the Social Media Content Strategist regarding post content through a dedicated communications specialist assigned to the department
- Provide feedback and guidance to the Website Editorial Department through a dedicated communications specialist assigned to the department in regards to web content as well as our biweekly electronic newsletter and other communications
- Exercise judgment to prioritize media opportunities, and prepare talking points, speeches, presentations and other supporting material as needed
- Supervise and coach a Media Spokesperson to lead all media interactions that help promote and/or impact the organization
- Actively cultivate and manage Canadian press relationships to ensure coverage of issues of strategic importance to the sector, as well as PCF’s programs, special events, public messages & other projects
- Manage relationships with any 3rd party communications related vendors or consultants
- Recruit and manage a communications team, relying exclusively on board, intern and volunteer talent, to support the development and execution of the communications strategy
- Promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality
- Mentor and develop staff using a supportive and collaborative approach on a consistent basis
- Develop a succession plan, including mentoring a second-in-command that is not only able to reduce the hourly responsibility of this senior volunteer role, but also ready to immediately step into the role should you need to step-back
We hope to find that special individual who is both positive and engaging & loves people and pets. You are great at what you do and want to share your gift of using words that work, to support a cause you are passionate about.
Do you have a large network of contacts within the media space in Canada and/or the United States? We're looking for people that know who the key people are by name, if they have pets, have their contact information in their phone, and can reach them in 2 calls or less.
Ideally we would like to connect with PR & Communications professionals with the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Public Relations, Journalism, or English
- 5-10 years’ successful experience in Corporate Communications (internal and external), Public Relations, and Media Relations
- Exceptional experience in driving communications programs, events, and platforms
- Excellent communication, messaging and storytelling skills
- Experience working with and providing communication guidance to interns and early-career communications staff
- Proven track record developing new ideas and campaigns across a broad spectrum of today’s media and marketing channels
- Strong project management skills; highly organized with a strong attention to detail
- Strong interpersonal and collaborative skills; ability to build and develop relationships across levels
- This position can be done virtually from anywhere in Canada or the United States
- Expectations regarding a time commitment are in the range of 8-10 hours per week on average
- Yes, this is a big role that will be impossible to do in 8-10 hours per week on your own. It’s why you’re building a team to execute on your direction.
- This is a volunteer position that could potentially lead into other roles within the organization
- We’d like this position to be filled and start as soon as we find the right candidate for the role
Job Types: Part-time, Casual
Pay: $0.00 per year