LOCATION: Dufferin Care Centre
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Reporting to the Food Services Manager and/or designate, the Cook is responsible for; daily production, delivery and service of items from designated menu, maintenance of a safe sanitary workplace and participating in the smooth operation of the department.
Include but not limited to;
1. Responsible for the production, delivery and service of assigned menu items using standardized recipes ensuring standard department policies, procedures and safe food handling techniques are used at all times.
2. Ensures the proper preparation, delivery and storage of food to ensure safety of residents, guests and the public. Performs audits testing the palatability and temperature of foods and take corrective action as necessary.
3. Maintains established food rotations in storage in order to minimize spoilage and waste.
4. Practices and maintains cleanliness and sanitation according to required standards set by the Health Department and the facility.
5. Maintains positive communication and relationships among management, staff, residents, and the public.
6. In the absence of the Food Services Manager/Chef/Lead Cook, the Cook, is responsible for the supervision of department production and service, staff, including direction of staff, interdepartmental communications, and emergencies.
7. Performs all other duties as required.
1. Grade 12 or equivalent.
2. Any combination of education and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities. Culinary or Apprenticeship program an asset.
3. Minimum of two (2) years culinary experience in hotels, restaurants, or institutions.
4. Food Safe Level 1 Certificate.
5. Serving it Right Certificate an asset.
6. Knowledge and experience with cooking, butchery, baking, kitchen equipment and machines.
7. Good working knowledge of accepted sanitation standards.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
1. Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position (i.e. extensive standing for long periods) and to use all kitchen equipment, (i.e. knives, spoons, spatulas, tongs, slicers, etc.).
2. Ability to work independently and follow instructions with minimal supervision
3. Ability to read and write the English language in order to function appropriately (verbal and written communications, read recipes, perform audits, etc.).
4. Basic mathematical skills necessary to understand recipes, measurements and portion sizes.
5. Ability to grasp, lift and/or carry 50 lbs repetitively.
6. Must be free of allergies and conditions, which may be aggravated by working with cleaners, detergents and work related substances.
Job Type: Casual
Salary: $18.07 to $18.25 /hour