Berwick, Nova Scotia
Job Posting No.:
Unionized after 1000 hours
Open until filled
Based on the Department of Health Funding
Job Posting for 4 permanent casual Continuing Care Assistants (CCA) 4, 8 and 12 hour
shifts various units.
Description of Grand View Manor:
GVM is a non-profit long term care home with 5 nursing home units, 142 residents, and over
200 staff. One of the units is a secure unit for people with dementia and wandering behavior.
We also have an attached assisted living complex (30 units), and an enriched housing complex
(40 units). GVM staffing includes Nursing (Registered Nurses, Licensed Practical Nurses,
Continuing Care Assistants and Auxiliary staff), Dietary / Food Services, Environmental
Services (Laundry, Housekeeping, Maintenance), Chaplaincy, Recreation, OT/PT/PTA and
We are a smoke-free, scent-reduced environment and we actively promote a safe and
The CCA works under the direct supervision of the RN Supervisor and LPN Team Leader and is
responsible for providing total personal care to the resident.
- provides total personal care to the resident including physical, emotional &
- assesses resident’s clothing needs & passes information through Nurse Manager
to family/ responsible person
- communicates closely with the Nurse Manager, Shift Supervisor &/or Team
- maintains good working relationships & open communication with staff of nursing
and other departments, residents, families & the general public
- attends & participates in nursing conference on each shift, monthly unit meetings
& multi-team meetings as required
- documents pertinent information in appropriate files
- assists in the planning of resident care and updating of kardexes/care plans
- observes any changes in the resident’s condition, immediately reports them to
the nurse in charge on the unit & documents in the resident’s chart
- is available to work all shifts on all units as assigned
- helps in the orientation of new staff
- acts as a mentor to CCA students when necessary
- Helps to insure that the residents’ rooms and unit on which they are working are
safe and the area is kept in good repair; also that the equipment they are using is
safe and maintained in good working order. Notifies maintenance of any needed
- Must have a provincial Continuing Care Assistant certificate or be working towards
- Resident-centeredness and passion for working with older people an asset
- Must be resident-centered
- Must have the ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Must have the ability to interact with others effectively as a Team Member.
- Must have the physical ability to carry out the duties and responsibilities of the position.
We value diversity in the workplace and strongly encourage applications from all qualified
candidates including African Canadians and other members of the visible minority community,
Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities, and women in non-traditional roles
Only those to be interviewed will be contacted.
Kim Ward Director of Care
110A Commercial Street