Why should you join our team?
YMCA Calgary is actively building healthy communities - join us in creating a better Calgary
YMCA Calgary opened its doors in 1902, since then we have evolved into a vibrant charitable organization that responds to the needs and health of the community.
Guided by four core values of honesty, caring, respect and responsibility, YMCA Calgary develop and delivers quality programs and services that promote the health of the community and provides opportunities for all Calgarians to belong, grow, thrive and lead. Our team of staff and volunteers are committed to creating a positive impact in the community through our health and wellness programs, child care and early education programs, community outreach programs (such as Indigenous, youth at risk, and cultural integration programs), leadership programs, camp experiences, and much more.
YMCA Calgary serves the community at our eight health and wellness locations, seven child care centres, two outdoor camp locations, and 60 community outreach locations. Join us in building healthy communities!
Outdoor Education Program Coordinator
Camp Chief Hector (located in Exshaw, Alberta)
$37,714.00 per year - $47,142.00 per year
January 23, 2020
You can make an impact in the community - locally and across the globe. You will work with a fun culture of people and enjoy many of the benefits and opportunities the YMCA offers:
- Complimentary YMCA Calgary membership including a linked membership for dependent children;
- Comprehensive health and dental benefits. Premiums paid in full by the Association;
- Pension plan with specified contribution matching by the Association;
- Anniversary flex day and gifts given to celebrate each year of employment;
- On site accommodation as a taxable benefit
- Program discounts;
- Ongoing leadership development and opportunities;
- Leadership award opportunities;
- Scholarship opportunities;
- Paid recertification and training.
What qualifications are we looking for?
We strive to ensure our employees are a fit based on their strengths, interests, and future goals. The successful candidate will have the following:
- Post-secondary education in recreation, education or other related field;
- Bachelor of Education with a focus on Outdoor Experiential Education is considered an asset;
- Strong work ethic;
- Strong commitment to teamwork;
- Committed to professional development;
- Lifestyle and personal values that work very well with the YMCA core values;
- Significant experience counselling and leading camp activities;
- Experience supporting and including children from all backgrounds;
- Current Standard First Aid and CPR C certification and/or Wilderness First Aid (CPR recertified within the last 12 months);
- Three professional references;
- Evidence of a clear Police Information Check with Vulnerable Sector Search.
What does this role look like at YMCA Calgary?
The Program Coordinator will report to the Manager of Outdoor Education and will be responsible for assisting with the leadership and coordination of the Outdoor Education programs at Camp Chief Hector YMCA and support the Summer Camp program in summer months.
Our ideal candidates come from a background of camping and leadership experiences. These people will enthusiastically lead by example and will be able to confidently give timely, positive and constructive feedback to their staff teams. Ideal candidates will be excellent communicators with the children that attend our facility year-round, and with parents, educators and the teachers that attend with them.
The successful candidate must be highly motivated, an excellent relationship builder, organized, creative, resourceful, self-assured, and capable of creating a positive, caring, youth-focused environment throughout all programs and services. It is our goal to develop our program coordinators in all aspects of branch management at a YMCA camping facility, these people will have to be progressive and leaders of change management and role models of positive community building.
The Program Coordinator will:
- Provide fun, positive and active leadership to staff and campers;
- Communicate effectively with staff, campers and their families;
- Support Camp Chief Hector YMCA risk management rules and guidelines;
- Manage personal energy to perform excellently each week with a busy schedule;
- Be knowledgeable of all program areas and enthusiastic in program area activities.
What qualities do we look for in YMCA Calgary Staff and Volunteers?
Our employees embody the YMCA values of honesty, caring, respect and responsibility. In addition, they model and are committed to the following competencies;
- Developing Self and Others: Developing people with a view toward present and future capacity.
- Building Purposeful Relationships: Relating to people authentically with their best in mind.
- Creating a Culture of Community: Gathering people to purpose and vision.
- Making Intentional Impact: Intending to make a difference every day.
- Thinking and Acting Strategically: Applying thoughts, words, and actions in service to the vision.
- Applying Business Acumen: Demonstrating excellence in technical skills and stewarding the YMCA Business Model.
- Innovating: Ability to know your environment, initiate and respond effectively to changing conditions.
Please note that evidence of a clear Police Information Check with Vulnerable Sector Search is a requirement
YMCA Calgary is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants must have legal authorization to work in Canada by way of Canadian Citizenship, Permanent Residency or a valid Canadian work permit. YMCA Calgary is currently not engaged in international recruitment efforts as we are required to demonstrate that we have exhausted all means of recruitment both locally and nationally.
Potential candidates will only be contacted if selected for an interview.
For any concerns or questions please contact Cassandra Petrovic, Recruitment Manager,