Job-Type: Full time, permanent
Start Date: As soon as possible
Location: Richmond, BC
Kemetco Research Inc. is looking for a chemist to join our Specialty Chemistry division. The successful candidate will have excellent bench skills and relevant previous experience to conduct analysis of process, quality control, mining ore, and non-routine samples. You will be accountable for the production of accurate and timely results in support of Kemetco’s contract obligations for analysis of samples originating from pulp and paper, chlor-alkali and mining industry clients.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Perform a variety of routine and specialized lab procedures relating to the analysis of permit discharge effluents and product samples (pulp and paper, chlor-alkali and mining).
· Analyze and present data, as directed by supervisor.
· Maintain detailed, accurate and timely records of work performed, including quality control sample analyses to validate analytical results obtained.
· Design and troubleshoot standard experiments in support of Kemetco’s extractive metallurgical and chemical process divisions.
· Continually increase your knowledge of laboratory techniques to recommend actions or process changes as necessary.
· Be eager and able to train others.
· Conduct specification analysis for industrial raw materials including HCl, NaOH, H2SO4, chlorine and various water treatment chemicals and in-process testing using specialized, industry-specific analytical techniques.
· Perform sample analysis using equipment such as UV-VIS spectrophotometer, IC and HPLC, GC, and TOC. Prior experience with these methods is an asset.
· Develop in-depth knowledge, the ability to troubleshoot, perform maintenance and calibrations on several analytical instruments, such as HPLC, GC, and IC.
· Perform organic analysis for presence of resin and fatty acids in pulp and paper mill effluents using GC/FID and TRS analysis of gas/and or liquid samples by GC/FPD.
· Assist with maintaining the lab as requested (e.g. maintain inventory of supplies/reagents, waste disposal, health & safety measures).
· Assist with other department operations as requested (e.g. filing reports, data entry).
· Comply with required QMS procedures, including maintenance of a signed laboratory notebook. Familiarity with ISO17025 would be advantageous but is not required.
· Understand that working weekends, statutory holidays, and/or overtime hours may occasionally be required.
· Have a working knowledge of MS Office, particularly MS Excel.
· Knowledge and experience with Agilent Chemstation, Shimadzhu TOC Control L and/or Metrohm MagIC Net is an asset.
· An undergraduate degree in Chemistry or BCIT Diploma in Chemical Technology plus 3–5 years of laboratory work experience (co-op internships included), preferably in an academic or industry setting.
· Experience with standard organic and inorganic analytical chemistry techniques.
· Knowledge of or interest in chemical and extractive metallurgical processes would be advantageous.
· Proven ability to multitask and work proactively, within a team and independently, to meet tight deadlines.
Kemetco Research is a private sector integrated science, technology and innovation company. Its Contract Sciences operation provides laboratory analysis and testing, field work, bench-scale studies, pilot plant investigations, consulting services, applied research and development for both industry and government. Our clients range from start-up companies developing new technologies to large multinational corporations with proven processes.
We provide scientific expertise in the fields of Specialty Analytical Chemistry, Chemical Process and Extractive Metallurgy. Because Kemetco carries out research in many different fields, we are able to offer a broader range of backgrounds and expertise than most laboratories. This is an opportunity to work with a small team of highly motivated colleagues in a creative and dynamic environment.
Application deadline: 2021-10-15
Expected start date: 2021-10-01
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $40,000.00-$50,000.00 per year
- Dental care
- Extended health care
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
- Vision care
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
- Bachelor's Degree (preferred)