Position Summary Reporting to the Director of Care and/or designate, the Rehabilitation Worker assists designated residents with assigned rehabilitative activities under the functional direction of an Occupational Therapist or Physiotherapist; and as part of the interdisciplinary team, plans, implements and evaluates individual and group recreation therapy programs for residents under the functional direction of the Recreation Therapist.
Responsibilities Include but not limited to;
1. Under the direction of an Occupational Therapist or Physiotherapist assists designated residents in established therapeutic and rehabilitative activities in the areas of physical, functional, and leisure skills such as: activities of daily living, mobility and strengthening exercises, range of motion.
2. As determined by the Recreation Therapist, carries out individual or group leisure/recreation therapy programs such as arts, socio-cultural events, crafts, sports, music, cooking , gardening and exercises as directed; sets up and organizes furnishings and equipment for programs and/or special events, and overseas the residents participation. Reports problems and/or changes to supervisor.
3. Carries out resident programs outside of the facility and accompanies resident; checks that the resident has appropriate clothing and necessary funds for the outing, and confirms details of the program with the nursing staff.
4. Assists with promotion and publicizing of programs and or special events, and is responsible for decorating home for seasonal changes.
5. Provides direction to volunteers and/or students during programs such as 1:1, small group, large group or special events.
6. Demonstrates the techniques of activities to residents, such as the use of prescribed treatment/adaptive devices e.g., splints, wheelchairs, walkers, modified eating utensils, and other equipment as required.
7. Assists residents, rehabilitation and nursing staff with patient lifting, transfers, and positioning, by coaching or hands on assistance. Porters residents as required.
8. Prepares adaptive devices such as self-care devices, clothing modifications, seating alterations and other aids according to established protocols, designs, and procedures.
9. In collaboration with care staff, assists with resident’s care such as feeding, toileting, transferring, hygiene, and bed positioning.
10. Reports verbally or in writing, observations of residents’ behaviour and social, emotional and physical progress and/or communicates concerns and/or changes to residents’ condition to designated clinician.
11. Maintains inventory of equipment, devices and materials and orders replacements through purchasing according to established procedures.
12. Maintains tidiness of equipment, patient care areas and storage areas. Checks that all equipment is stored safely and works in a safe manner. Reports malfunctioning equipment to the appropriate personnel.
13. Completes required reports such as, written patient reports, forms for supplies, patient billing approval forms, and workload statistics.
14. Attends resident conferences as assigned; attends staff in-services/meetings, participates on committees and attends work related and pre-approved conferences and seminars.
15. Positions the resident in a wheelchair, at the parallel bars etc. Sets up the rehabilitation equipment as directed by the therapist. Monitors the resident for psychological and physical reaction to the activity or equipment and monitors the equipment for correct temperature, frequency, size of weight, resistance, etc.
16. Familiar with Fraser Health Authority.
17. Performs other related duties as required.
Qualifications 1. Completion of a Rehabilitation Assistant Program plus one year's recent, related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
1. Ability to organize work, communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing .
2. Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
3. Ability to deal with others effectively.
4. Ability to operate related equipment .