This position will assist with all aspects of the production of quality plants. This includes working with the Assistant Growers & Crop Techs to efficiently manage all quality control of product according to customer standards. This position is also responsible for organizing and assigning daily tasks in order of priority, in order to ensure work efficiency and timely task completion.
CORE COMPETENCIES REQUIRED
- 3-5 years growing experience (preferably with veg propagation and/or flowers)
- Valid Pesticide license
- Strong organizational and prioritization skills
- Team player
- Experience with Priva and/or Hoogendoorn
- Review crop schedules and provide input on mapping and planning process.
- Responsible for the growing of plugs, rooted cuttings, potted plants, field-crops and maintenance of plants.
- Manage all growth regulator/pesticide applications based on direction from the Senior Grower.
- Monitor insect population in greenhouses. (Discuss and review with Senior Grower) Setting up areas for new plantings and continually monitoring the environment (lights, mist, curtains, etc).
- Hand watering when required. Inspection of all live plants entering and exiting the facility.
- Monitor daily activities to determine opportunities for improvement in productivity, efficiency and quality.-Purchasing growing supplies (fertilizers, pesticides, PPE) and communicating all purchases to the Senior/Head Grower.
- Maintain records including: crop and shrink reports, weekly report to the Senior/Head Grower and spray records.
- Ensure protocols set out by the Senior Grower are met (sanitation, cleanliness and organization).
- Maintain daily communication with Senior/Head Grower in order to coordinate the areas of the warehouse and distribution.
- Provide fair and balanced performance feedback to Assistant Growers on a regular basis to encourage a motivated workforce.
- Openly and honestly communicate with all employees to build trust and effective teamwork as well as encourage employee involvement to achieve shared organizational objectives.
- Provide guidance/support to the Assistant Growers and Crop Techs.
- Follow and adhere to “Best Practices” under the direction of the Senior/Head Grower.
- Ensure that all employee questions, suggestions and concerns are addressed in a timely manner and discussed with the Senior and Head Grower.
- On call 24-7 to respond to alarms or greenhouse related emergencies to be shared with other Growers.
- Two-way communication to ensure consistency. Other duties as required.
- Work is normally performed in the Greenhouse.
- Some physical effort is required. Some exposure to physical risk. Constant change in temperature, which could be undesirable.
- Extended hours during peak Harvest periods.
- Weekend Grower rotation and Holidays as required.
One Floral is committed to providing accommodations for applicants upon request at any stage during the recruitment process in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) and the Ontario Human Rights Code. All applicants must make their requirements known when contacted.
Job Type: Full-time
- growing: 3 years (Required)