Data Engineer (Remote)
It’s an exciting time to be at GasBuddy, the leading travel and navigation app used by more North American drivers to save money on gas than any other. In 2021, GasBuddy hit #1 on the iOS app store, rebounded from the pandemic to post record-breaking revenue in Q12021, hit $800+ million in total fuel purchased via the Pay with GasBuddy card, and extended our partnership ecosystem with several world-class companies like Foursquare, GetUpside, Grubhub, Gridwise, and CarAdvise. Our success depends on bright, energetic, talented people who share a passion for helping millions of consumers save on every gallon of fuel purchased—and having fun along the way.
We are looking for a Data Engineer to join the Data Operations team. In this role, you will help expand and optimize our data pipeline architecture in order to make it readily accessible to cross-functional teams. Our ideal candidate has experience with building and maintaining data pipelines end-to-end. They should be interested in stewarding complex data ﬂows with the end goal of reaching consumer and business users.
As a Data Engineer, you will support our engineering, business and product teams by ensuring optimal data collection and delivery through our infrastructure. This will include examining existing systems for optimizations, investigating new techniques and working with various stakeholders to ensure consistent delivery throughout the GasBuddy ecosystem.
What You’ll Do: *
- Design, implement, and maintain low-latency ETL/ELT pipelines for diﬀerent data sources and destinations (e.g RDS, Salesforce, Google Analytics, Partner API's etc)
- Make GasBuddy data more discoverable and easy to use for Data Scientists and Analysts.
- Collaborate with other engineers and Data Scientists to discover the best solutions.
- Diagnose and solve issues in our existing data pipelines and envision and build their successors.
- Partner with our DevOps engineers to build and evolve a secure infrastructure for our data stack.
- Develop standardized tooling to support ELT/ETL development using Python, Spark, Redshift, Kinesis, and Elasticsearch
- Support your colleagues by reviewing code and designs.
- 3+ years hands-on experience
- Managing databases and related other open source software (Postgres, Spark, Redshift, Elasticsearch, etc...).
- Working with Python packages, frameworks and environments for data processing.
- Working with and analyzing structured and unstructured datasets.
- Advanced working knowledge of SQL and experience working with relational databases.
- Experience building and optimizing ‘big data’ data pipelines, architectures and working with data lakes.
- Experience supporting and working with cross-functional teams in a dynamic environment.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to present data in a professional manner.
- Ability to balance detail-oriented work with important project deadlines.
- Knowledge of web services and data-driven application architecture.
- Experience working in an Agile development environment.
- Experience performing root cause analysis on internal and external data and processes to answer speciﬁc business questions and identify opportunities for improvement.
We oﬀer competitive compensation, a comprehensive beneﬁts package including health, dental, and vision coverage to support the wellbeing of our employees and their families. We have a strong culture and live our values every day—we believe in transparency, curiosity, respect, and above all, having fun while delighting our customers. We achieve remarkable results by working together in a supportive
environment that focuses on continuous learning and embraces change. We think you’ll be excited to join our team.
GasBuddy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualiﬁed applicants will receive consideration for employment without regards to race, colour, religion, sex, age, disability, military status, national origin or any other characteristic protected under federal, state or applicable local law.
Job Type: Full-time