The Northern/NorthMart stores currently have exciting opportunities for full-time, permanent employment in retail stores across the North. This is an excellent opportunity to join a team where your experience and work ethic are appreciated and rewarded. With Northern/NorthMart, you’re encouraged to learn and grow on the job and to explore the beauty and the culture of the communities in which we live and work.
Are you a couple? Friends, siblings or just two colleagues that get along really well? We are looking for enthusiastic and highly motivated retail professionals who welcome the opportunities for career advancement that we have to offer. If you are customer service leaders with a passion for being part of a hardworking retail team
Northern/NorthMart offers rewarding experiences and unique opportunities for growth.
Develop detailed action plans for the store that achieve planned profitability, sales and controllable expense targets.
- Competitive salaries
- Comprehensive benefits package
- Allowances for both food and accommodation
- Paid training
Ensure solid execution of in-store selling activities, financial services, marketing programs, and Northern Way standards in support of corporate programs and initiatives.
- Develop plan to achieve financial goals and communicates these goals to the store team.
- Ensure appropriate merchandise is ordered, tailored to the specific market needs, to maximize local sales opportunities.
- Control labour and overhead costs.
- Monitor all cash, receivables and store controls.
- Ensure appropriate inventory levels to maximize sales, inventory turns and return on investment.
- Ensure loss prevention and shrink are well controlled.
Develop a community relations plan for the store that ensures the development and maintenance of long term business relationships with customers, community stakeholders and political leaders.
- Ensure merchandise is presented according to standards to achieve maximum sales and profits.
- Opportunistically drive sales through promotional offerings.
- Ensure merchandise is priced in accordance with guidelines
- Consistent execution of standards and disciplines.
Develop expert, in depth knowledge related to store operations, competition within the local and surrounding areas, and economic factors impacting the community.
- Determines appropriate sponsorship and donations for local events and activities.
- Monitors the level of customer service and satisfaction within the store and takes action as required to address issues
- Leads and controls the goals and standards for the store
Skills and Qualifications
- Advance the store’s competitive position within the trading area
We’re looking for professional, organized workers who have a healthy sense of adventure and a strong knowledge and experience base.
- A minimum of two years of experience in a high-volume grocery/retail environment
- Strong customer service skills.
- Record of bottom line and sales results in previous roles.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions both verbally and orally.
- Computer knowledge of Excel and Outlook.
- Strong knowledge of grocery operating principles.
- Exceptional analytical, problem solving and decision making skills with a high attention to detail
- Proven organizational, planning and prioritizing skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication, interpersonal skills and superior customer service skills
- Must have the ability and desire to develop an in-depth understanding of Northern/NorthMart customers
- Demonstrates a personal and enthusiastic commitment to Northern/NorthMart's vision, mission, values and strategies
- Highly motivated and adventurous with an appreciation for small town life in a culturally diverse setting considered an asset
- Work in extreme conditions
- Lift 50+ pounds
- Work extended hours
- Will be required to stand for long periods occasionally.
- Use full hand mechanics
- Handle or feel and reach with hands and arms
- Work in remote areas
The North West Company ("NWC" or "North West") recognizes its longstanding relationship with Indigenous Peoples and its role as the largest provider of goods and services to Indigenous communities in northern Canada. North West’s predecessor entities were fur trading and provisioning companies that economically intertwined with Indigenous Nations for hundreds of years, well before the accelerated settler periods of the 19th and early 20th centuries. North West acknowledges its predecessors were also instruments of European sovereignty and power that contributed to the colonization of Indigenous territories and Nations that make up the geography of Canada today. In the spirit of Truth and Reconciliation, we acknowledge Canada’s colonial history and the policies of racism that created power imbalances throughout history and the resulting harm done to Indigenous Peoples.
Our Promise to Indigenous Peoples is a reaffirmed commitment to building more collaborative relationships that will enhance the inclusion and social well-being of Indigenous People of Canada. We fully commit to the spirit of reconciliation reflected in the Truth and Reconciliation Commission’s Calls to Action and final report.
The North West Company plays a critical role in serving rural and remote communities across Canada’s north. Customers trust our Northern stores and NorthMart stores to provide the products and services that make their lives better. In turn, we trust our in-store personnel to deliver! If you are considering a career in the north, we offer excellent compensation and the freedom to make a store your own. You’ll have the rare opportunity of experiencing life in the north, with its outdoor activities and culturally engaged communities. We put our full support, including first-rate training, behind you. Many of our most successful operators worked their way up through our stores. If you are ready for adventure and hungry for a meaningful, wide-open career, take a look at what we have to offer.