Note: Please make sure you read the "How to Apply" section below.
We are looking for an experienced web developer to be the technical lead on our new project:
- This is a full-time, permanent position.
- A strong intermediate/senior developer would likely be a good fit, but we are flexible for the best candidate.
- Based in Newmarket Ontario, remote okay, but we generally like to have weekly in-person meetings.
AEC Daily provides free online education to the building products industry through our site aecdaily.com. We are looking to add a new member to the technical team to be the technical lead on our next-generation, ground up, learning system implementation. We need someone with strong experience in all aspects of web development, including front-end, application services, and database design. One might say "full-stack".
Our new project is to implement a new online learning system, built on what we have learned with aecdaily.com, adding more features, functionality, and scalability. We are using PHP in the front-end, MySQL in the backend, and a variety of tools in the middle, but we're open to using what makes the most sense.
The team lead will be the senior person on the implementation team, and will be expected to provide leadership and guidance to other team members in the design and implementation of the system. The team lead will be supported in this by business experts, the existing technical team, and additional staff hired for this project.
We are a small but growing technical team (eight people - looking for number nine), in a modestly-sized company. Our primary responsibility is for aecdaily.com, but we also develop and maintain sites for reporting, management, and course authoring. There are also a variety of customer-specific sites, along with various other internal projects, and projects for related companies.
- We expect you to have at least 5 to 10 years of relevant experience.
- You must have strong expertise in all aspects of web application development.
- You must have experience and interest in leading and guiding other developers.
- Solid PHP (or proven ability to pick it up quickly) programming, experience in other relevant languages.
- Knowledge of and experience in common web application frameworks and development methods.
- Solid understanding of database design, usage and interaction in web environments.
- Ability to get up to speed quickly, work independently, ask for advice, offer advice and find good solutions to newly-discovered problems (or opportunities).
- Good communication skills in English (oral and casual writing) and computer programming.
Technical and Working Environment
We need someone who is largely self-directed and can work independently - we don't micro-manage, but we won't leave you hanging out to dry either. Dress code is casual, and work hours are flexible, as long as your time is productive and your results are good.
- Primary language is PHP (with CodeIgniter), but we believe in using the right tool for the job.
- Primary database for this project is MySQL, but we use PostgreSQL elsewhere, and are open to other appropriate data stores.
- Source control is git via gitlab, with use of gitlab-ci.
- Various other tools and services, including apache, redis, puppet, bugzilla, mattermost chat, etc.
- Current environment is physical hardware and some containers, moving to more VMs and containers.
- We have "dev image" virtual machines for local development and testing.
- Our environment is reasonably structured and automated, and we're working on improving that.
About AEC Daily
AEC Daily has been providing online education for over eighteen years. Owner-managed, stable, and growing.
How to Apply
- Send a cover letter (or email body) outlining why you would be a good fit, and demonstrating that you have read and understood this job posting and that you've at least looked at our site. Write a sentence or two introducing an interesting problem you've solved (or at least attacked).
- Send your resume as well, highlighting your relevant skills and experience, convincing us that you meet the job requirements.
- Give us (or point us to) a sample of your code that you like.
If selected for an interview, we will expect you to:
- Have an introductory phone call with us, wherein you will tell us about yourself, and respond when we ask you for a scintillating anecdote.
- Be able to come to our office in Newmarket for an in-person interview. Or, if you're not local to the GTA, convince us that it won't be an issue.
- Answer technical questions, some stupidly easy, some hard, so that we can get an understanding of your understanding.
- Tell us why you would be a good fit for this position.
- Ask us probing questions, so that you can find out if we are right for you.
Thank you for your interest. We will do our best to respond to all applicants who apply. Sorry, no recruiters please. There should, of course, be no need to say this, but we welcome applicants from any ethnic, cultural or religious background, gender, or sexual orientation. Plus, our brand new office is accessible and we even have a couple of treadmill desks, if you are so inclined.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Web Development: 5 years (Required)