Join our Team
Since opening our first retirement community in 1989, Berwick Retirement Communities has been committed to offering quality retirement living and now owns seven residences across BC. We are proud to be Island owned & managed.
Berwick Retirement Communities promotes an environment which integrates hospitality with superior customer service and care. As a member of the Berwick team you will uphold a philosophy that respects choice, independence and autonomy for our residents.
Berwick House in Victoria is seeking a Resident Care Aide to work part time. The RCA assists residents with activities of daily living as outlined in the resident care plan.
4 on 2 off rotation - 2 Morning Shifts: 7:00 am to 3:00. 2 Evening shifts: 3:00 pm to 9:30 pm (31.5 hours weekly)
Under the supervision of the BRIO Team Leader/Nurse in charge, the Resident Care Aide works as part of a multi-disciplinary team in the delivery of care to Berwick care unit residents. The RCA must strive to meet the physical, mental, emotional, social, nutritional and spiritual needs of the residents in a manner conducive to the resident’s safety, comfort and dignity. The RCA is aware of and conforms to all Licensing requirements of the Residential Care Regulations.
The successful candidate will provide assistance in a manner conducive to resident safety, comfort, and dignity, while maintaining choice, independence, and individuality. The RCA is aware of and conforms to Assisted Living Registrar requirements and applicable internal policies as it relates to Enhanced Living Services. Encourages and adheres to a holistic philosophy of wellness, recognizing that each resident is capable of, to varying degrees; making decisions about his/her life and is a partner in the decision-making process.
Qualifications & Skills:
- Completion of RCA certificate with diploma
- Medication Administration Certificate preferred
- Registration with the BC Care Aide & Community Health Worker Registry preferred
- WHMIS, First Aid, & CPR
- Experience in the field of geriatrics & resident care
- Knowledge of bath procedures and ADL needs for seniors
- Knowledge of methods of transfer and capable of supporting residents with varying degrees of mobility
- Physically able to lift, bend and perform repetitive movements
- Proficient and accurate observation and recording skills
- Demonstrates an awareness of accident and incident prevention and adheres to safe work practices
- Demonstrates a solid understanding of the intent, philosophy, and core values of assisted living when planning and delivering personal service and hospitality services
- Relationship building & team oriented
- Strong communication skills including, listening, understanding & responding
- Commitment to customer relationships and hospitality by being caring and courteous to residents, families, visitors and co-workers
- Tact, diplomacy, sound judgment & confidentiality
- Patience, reliability and empathy skills
- Problem solving and conflict resolution skills
The RCA works as part of a multi-disciplinary team in the delivery of care to Berwick residents. The RCA must strive to meet the physical, mental, emotional, social, nutritional and spiritual needs of the residents in a manner conducive to the resident’s safety, comfort and dignity.
Starting wage is $25.34 per hour, plus evening, night, and weekend shift differentials as applicable, plus temporary Covid-19 Provincial wage subsidy top-up of $0.49 per hour.
Note: A criminal record check is required pursuant to the Criminal Records Review Act for working with vulnerable adults. Current TB test also required, as well as proof of Covid-19 vaccination(s).
What Our Staff Are Saying About Working With Berwick Retirement Communities:
I love working at Berwick. Each day presents different opportunities to challenge ourselves. I get to work closely with staff and residents to ensure that the programs we offer are the highest quality and most up to date. We have such a great team that supports each one other and inspires me to do my best.
- Jacqueline, Active Living Manager Berwick on the Park since 2017
One of the things I enjoy about working with Marquise at Berwick is the people I am surrounded with. My team is upbeat and focused on teamwork and high quality food. The company also has room for growth which is what we all want from an employer.
- James, Executive Chef, Marquise Food Services at Berwick on the Lake since 2004
It has been my pleasure to work at Berwick these past 10 years as a Resident Care Aide. I have enjoyed sharing many touching moments with residents and staff; they are all like family to me.
- Heather, Enhanced Living Services, Berwick House since 2008.
Although I have only been here a short time, I feel right at home with Berwick. Everyone has been so warm, welcoming, supportive and responsive. This type of work place culture is truly hard to find and Berwick has mastered it! It is no wonder Berwick has such a wonderful reputation in the community at large!
-Tara, Recruitment and Retention Coordinator Berwick Head office since 2020
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: From $25.83 per hour
- Dental care
- Extended health care
- RRSP match
- Vision care
- Do you have your Covid-19 Vaccinations