We are looking for a talented Senior System Administrator to collaborate on improving and maintaining our backend VMWare-based architecture, infrastructure, and networking, and to assist with a move to AWS Cloud.
You will be working in a hybrid VMWare/AWS environment and collaborating closely with application development engineers to build internal tools and processes around our platform.
We are looking for an engineer who thrives on solving challenging problems, and is passionate about building and maintaining deployment pipelines, storage systems, databases and computing infrastructure.
How you’ll make an impact:
- Manage the setup, configuration and operation of virtualization layer, hardware, firewall, proxy, load balancers, IDS and operating systems
- Perform network and systems administration of infrastructure installed in our physical data centre, office and AWS cloud environments
- Own, understand, extend and maintain our network infrastructure and topology
- Determine the organization’s data management and network technology needs
- Determining and troubleshooting issues with production and administration systems in an Ubuntu-based environment
- Collaborate with a smart, passionate DevOps team to work on planning, building and maintaining infrastructure and tooling
- Create and follow processes to implement planned changes to production and non-production systems.
- Perform incident response and break-fix triage for infrastructure system issues.
- Provide guidance on best practices for secure virtual machine implementations & automated provisioning of infrastructure and applications
- Suggest and implement improvements and automations to processes and tasks
- Evaluate existing platforms, applications and tools for improvements
- Participate in DevOps team design, review, and best practices discussions
- Participate in an on-call rotation
What you’ll bring to the team:
- Strong experience with networking performance, maintenance and stability.
- Strong experience working with vSphere v5.x and 6.x of VMware, experience of installing, configuring, upgrading, monitoring, and troubleshooting vCenter and ESXi servers.
- Strong experience in Ubuntu
- Strong experience of Infrastructure as Code practices with hands-on experience in tools like Ansible, Puppet, or Terraform.
- Strong understanding of virtualization & containerization technologies and concepts, with experience in building, managing & deploying VMs & containers with VMWare, Docker and Kubernetes.
- Hands-on experience in large scale application deployments and building continuous integration & continuous deployment (CI/CD) pipelines using tools such as Jenkins, Teamcity or Bamboo etc.
- Familiarity with standard IT security practices such as identity and access management, data protection, encryption, certificate and key management.
- Experience building and maintaining highly available/fault tolerant systems
- Demonstrated experience closely collaborating with development teams.
- Solid problem-solving skills and the ability to think on your feet
- CCNA certification preferred.
- VMware certified professional preferred.
Bonus Points for:
- CCNA Certification
- Experience with enterprise-grade search systems like Solr or Elasticsearch.
- Experience working with Amazon Web Services platform and tools
- Experience working in an Agile SCRUM environment
- Degree in Computer Science or equivalent
If this is you please apply directly online https://volarisgroup.wd3.myworkdayjobs.com/BiblioCommons/job/Canada---Toronto/Senior-System-Administrator_R24646
- Extended health care
- Vision care
- Flexible working hours
- Dental care
- Vacation & paid time off
- Casual dress
- Disability insurance
- Life insurance
- Discounted/free food
- Company events & social hours
- Employee assistance programs
- Education reimbursement
Reference ID: https://volarisgroup.wd3.myworkdayjobs.com/BiblioCommons/job/Canada---Toronto/Senior-System-Administrator_R24646
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent