Please be advised that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
$22.47 - $23.59 per hour
Various hours and/or weekend shifts.
School Principal or Department Head
With general direction the Custodian performs routine cleaning of District Buildings within clearly defined work methods and performs building security functions. He/she works cooperatively with other employees, students and the public.
- Mops, sweeps and waxes floors, vacuums rugs and spot cleans and dusts as necessary.
- Washes walls, windows and door glass.
- Changes lights
- Cleans desks, counter tops, and changes chair glides as required.
- Cleans and sanitizes washrooms, mealrooms, classroom sinks, drinking fountains and replenishes supplies.
- Empties and cleans waster paper receptacles, garbage pails and pencil sharpeners. Disposes of refuse.
- Locks doors and secures windows in allocated areas at termination of shift.
- Ensures that appropriate lights are shut off.
- Checks with the principal or supervisor concerning door locking times and checks all doors and windows following evening activities.
- Assesses emergency situations and contacts appropriate department or authorities.
- Familiarizes self with District’s custodial guidelines as outlined in the Custodial Handbook.
- Familiarizes self with the District security systems.
- Cleans chalkboard ledges and erasers as required.
- Wet mops floors as required.
- Clears exit doors.
- Tests fire alarms.
- During school holidays performs major cleaning operations and assists with interior cleaning as directed by the principal and/or the Custodial Supervisor.
- Cleans custodial equipment and reports items needing major repairs to the Principal.
- May be assigned to provide access and equipment to designated areas for groups such as extra-curricular school activity, night classes and community groups as pre-arranged by the Principal.
- Assists other custodians as required.
- Performs other custodial or emergent duties as required by the Principal.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, ABILITY, SKILLS (Custodian)
- Building Maintenance Certificate or six months of specific experience.
- Ability to perform physical labour and to be able to use heavy cleaning equipment.
- Basic computer skills required.
- Ability to plan and schedule work and organize workload effectively so that essential cleanup is accomplished in the time available.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to give and receive oral and written instructions in English.
- Ability to read and follow safety instructions and WHMIS labels/directions.
- Ability to use courtesy and tact in the explanation of and discussion of information in contacts with public, parents, staff and students.
- Ability to perform individually and as part of a team.
- Ability to work afternoon or day shift.
- Ability to work with interruptions.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED
Floor polisher/scrubber, vacuum cleaner (wet-dry), wax applicator, dry mop, wet mop, castor bucket and press, telephone, hand tools.
- Sufficient vision to perform custodial functions.
- Fundamental physical ability to operate heavy custodial equipment.
- Manual dexterity.