ESIT Advanced Solutions provides the delivery and support of the BC Government’s client infrastructure. The provision of infrastructure services includes maintaining and enhancing the stability of the IT hosting infrastructure, including; OpenVMS system management and OpenVMS database services and shared middleware application services and support. The Storage, Backup, Mainframe, Data Centre Services team is responsible for the management and operations of the shared infrastructure platform services.
The SAN Storage Administrator is responsible for providing assistance and support to ESIT Advanced Solutions in the planning, development, design, installation, configuration, testing, and enhancement of the storage products and environment, examples of which include Brocade and Cisco SAN switches, DXC storage arrays, EMC storage arrays and NetApp storage appliances and their associated monitoring and management software. The position, interfacing with internal and external consumers, directs the design and development of system solutions, implementation of quality assurance reviews, and coordination of problem resolution ensuring compliance with information technology and company business plans and technical compatibility, efficiency, fault tolerance, reliability and consistency of solutions. To work with organization technology architects and engineers to establish guidelines and standards for storage operations; the incumbent develops, implements and manages the detailed operating procedures for storage systems installation and configuration.
The SAN Storage Administrator coordinates and manages the implementation and maintenance of the storage environments. Work of this nature involves performing software and firmware installation and upgrades, hardware implementation, configuration management, security management, planned and unplanned maintenance coordination, and emergency system failure responses to ensure the optimum operation of critical customer applications. On occasion the incumbent is required to assume the role of project leader to negotiate, develop, and implement complex technical solutions for storage environment issues with customers and suppliers.
System Management and Operation:
- Identifies, defines, approves and participates in the development and documentation of systems standards, configuration standards, infrastructure support architectures and procedures;
- Assist with technical project plans; assesses impacts and risks both initial and post-implementation;
- Performs the role of security analyst through analyzing risks and developing strategies to improve security policies and procedures. Communicates security concepts and solutions to customers and monitors adherence;
- Identifies, defines, develops, approves and implements policies and procedures on systems and monitors adherence. Scope of policies and procedures includes system management, system operations, and security management;
- Evaluates configuration to maximize systems performance, availability and minimize costs. Works closely with application and system support staff to determine optimal system performance and stability requirements and confirm licensing for the storage environment;
- Identifies, designs, develops, implements and maintains scripts, utilities and layered products designed to support systems management, security reporting, capacity and performance management, operations, etc.; maintains purchased systems management applications;
- Coordinates the implementation of all storage systems. May assist DBAs and/or system support personnel with implementing storage solutions for databases and applications;
- Monitoring various system metrics and checklists, generates and/or analyzes various reports to identify system abnormalities, such as resource shortages or excessive usage, security violations, etc. Takes and/or recommends corrective action;
- Maintaining, monitoring and controlling high level security access and enforcing user agreement security or access policies as per documented procedures and drawing any exposures to the attention of appropriate managers; and
- Maintains system configurations as per established policy, procedures and defined standards.
Incident and Problem Management:
- Respond to and/or leads technical staff in the resolution of complex/critical incidents and problems. Assesses, prioritizes and assigns incidents and problems to junior staff;
- Ensures that Management and the appropriate Client Business Analysts are aware of any ongoing high priority incidents as well as their resolution;
- Trains, mentors and provides direction to technical staff in the resolution of non-complex/critical incidents and problems;
- Monitors reports; identifies problems including all storage hardware and software: repairs, replaces or reconfigures as required; designs and implements software and operational modifications to bypass defects in systems software pending vendor corrections of software defects; refers non-storage specific problems to other systems personnel. Effects appropriate solutions independently;
- Provides an interface between customer technical staff, vendors support staff and other IT professionals for the resolution of network, infrastructure or application problems;
- Responds to incidents/problems escalated by customers and other information systems staff within Incident and Problem management service levels; diagnoses incidents, prioritizes, and effecting appropriate resolutions without the benefit of documented guidelines.
- Ensures that Management and the appropriate Client Business Analysts are aware of any planned high risk/impact changes;
- Coordinates and plans team related changes to systems and dependent infrastructure. Team may be a customer support team or project team;
- Trains, mentors and provides direction to technical staff in the scoping, planning and implementing changes;
- Plans, designs and leads the installation and configuration of new/upgraded hardware and software on systems; tests and validates functionality and stability; resolves issues and installs into production;
- Provides assistance to application support personnel, by identifying integration and reconfiguration requirements for hardware and software to meet new and changing application requirements;
- Analyses performance data, downtimes, etc., and determines reasonable service levels; provides input to the development of Service Level Agreements with clients;
- Plans and schedules system maintenance; submit change requests including change plan, impact analysis and fall back plan;
- Implements operating system modifications; tunes and configures operating system software to accommodate new layered product versions;
- Monitors industry/vendor advisories; reviews impact to existing systems, and follows change management practices to implement any necessary changes;
- Ensures new systems/network software and hardware meets specifications in the established client guidelines during testing and implementation phase of projects, and advising project teams, and the Systems Operations Team concerning suitability of products;
- Creating and modifying storage and other proprietary systems scripts to assist in automating regular operational requirements and systems administration and tuning; and
- Implements scheduled changes to systems and infrastructure as per documented plan. This includes installing, configuring, programming, and maintaining systems/network and custom hardware and software.
- Works closely with clients and staff to analyze the system requirement(s) and determine impact on existing services: identifies costs, compatibility and support issues; designs implementation program; works closely with impacted areas to prioritize projects: obtains related approvals;
- Plans project requirements, resources, schedules and responsibilities: assigns duties. Monitors and controls project process and resource usage; ensures compliance with standards;
- Schedules implementation into production: directs and/or installs; conducts post implementation review; confirms attainment of project goals;
- Contributes to and/ or develops detailed implementation and upgrade plans; creates entities required to affect a program change; refers to customer migration control for migration to production environment: monitors completeness of migration and execution): verifies integrity of production environment for continuation by application development;
- Provides technical expertise, advice and support on storage environments to management and customer development teams on new or enhanced applications; ensures impacts are clearly understood;
- Liaises with customers and staff to analyze the system requirements and determine impact on existing services; compatibility and support issues; designs implementation program; liaises with impacted areas to prioritize projects: obtains related approvals. Provides cost recommendations and justification to clients;
- Identifies new technologies/products for evaluation, and directs the tests for the compatibility of all products with new or revised server environments: researches options for elimination or replacement; evaluates and recommends acquisition of alternate products;
- Researches and evaluates new technologies and provides recommendations for its use. Explore new features and pass to team;
- Participates in setting up test environments for new products being researched; identifying, documenting and resolving problems involved; and providing advice on compatibility, supportability, and suitability to facilitate easy integration into existing environments;
- Participates in system software and hardware projects to upgrade operating systems; and
- Attends meetings to ensure that the intended progress is attainable and on time.
Education and Experience
- Minimum of 4 years’ experience leading change management efforts;
- Experienced working in a delivery/client environment;
- Experience with change management and request management tools;
- ITIL Foundations Certification;
- Experience with large-scale organizational change effort;
- Experienced in mentoring and training staff in storage system administration;
- Experienced in managing small projects staff and resources;
- Experienced in organizing installations, configuring, maintaining and problem solving storage systems hardware and software;
- Experienced with highly specialized storage systems operations involving multiple platforms and locations;
- Experienced in developing and maintaining scripts written in common shell languages;
- Demonstrated problem determination, troubleshooting and problem resolution experience;
- Knowledge of and experience with disaster recovery and security procedures for storage systems;
- Experience in IT strategic planning;
- Experience in providing project management and technical leadership to systems professionals and vendors;
- Experience working in teams;
- Experience in supervising, managing, mentoring, and training staff, including conducting performance evaluations, interviewing, and selecting/hiring new staff; and
- Demonstrated experience in participating/managing complex IT issues.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Strong organization, people, and problem solving skills are required;
- Ability to work under pressure and tight deadlines and order competing priorities;
- Good verbal, written communication, listening skills, telephone manner;
- Ability to work well in teams and independently;
- Desire to learn and work with complex systems and highly specialized system operations involving multiple platforms and locations;
- Knowledge of project planning and management practices and experience in providing project management and technical leadership to systems professionals and vendors;
- Programming skills are an asset; and
- Expert technical knowledge of program/system features and functionality.
The full job description and posting are available on our website: https://www.dxcas.com/index.php/careers/current-opportunities
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $71,816.46 to $81,927.43 /year