Dental Secretary, Dental Program
East Mississauga Community Health Centre
Relief Position: No guarantee of hours
Salary Range: $20.08 per hour to $24.03 per hour
LAMP Community Health Centre is a multi-service, community based charitable organization that provides a wide range of programs and services to improve a person's health. LAMP uses a co-ordinated approach to connect people to medical services and other programs that build personal resources. By providing services that improve physical, emotional, social and economic well-being, people can better control their health and environment.
Under the direct supervision of the Dental Program Manager, the Dental Secretary provides dental receptionist services, while supporting the provision of dental health promotion and clinical services to underserved communities including LGBTQ+, isolated persons, racialized individuals, immigrants and refugees, and those who live in poverty. The Dental Secretary works as part of an interdisciplinary team and is involved in supporting access to the Dental Health Care (DHC) services (including evenings and weekends), as well as provide occasional relief support for the EMCHC reception and medical secretary staff, and occasional dental assisting relief to support the dental team’s serving of clients. This position suits an individual with a passion and commitment towards serving the community and an inclusive workplace that respects and values the diversity of every individual.
- Completes intake and registration/enrollment with new clients, including collecting information for initial screenings, explaining program limitations, and costs to clients and their family members, with patience and respect.
- Assists clients in completing forms as needed. Confirms forms are complete and accurate signed, etc.
- Ensures organization of and maintains all paper and electronic dental records and filing systems in a prescribed manner that supports program efficiency and reporting requirements, in accordance with the health records and PIPEDA, PHIPA, standards and LAMP’s policies.
- Prepares client statistics, daily reports, sociodemographic for reporting purposes and support Dental Program Manager in response to requests for information from the funder.
- Ensures follow up with clients as directed by providers and manager, or indicated by the client re-call system.
- Answers incoming calls and responding to incoming visitors, makes appointments for clinical providers, takes and relays messages and books appointments for referrals, arranges for interpretation services as needed.
- General correspondence, photocopies, sends faxes, scanning of documents, distributes incoming mail and collects and posts outgoing mail, including documents required by the Region of Peel.
- Set up new client records, coordinates and ensures accurate appointment scheduling and makes appointments for each client in accordance with dental clinic policies and procedures.
- Calls patients to confirm and pre-confirm appointments, and documents, as required.
- Ensures that all appropriate forms are completed prior to client receiving service.
- Support oral health promotion, advocacy, and community outreach initiatives Ensures and protects client confidentiality at all time as per LAMP’s Policies, PIPEDA, and PHIPA
- Participates in Environmental Control, screening of clients for illness, and infection control processes as per LAMP policy, OHSA, and IPAC infection control standards.
- Participates in client record audits/reviews.
- Participates as a member of a multi-disciplinary team.
- Participate in dental team and LAMP all staff meetings regularly.
- Contribute to overall team functioning by assisting where needed.
- Experience in Dental Clinic Reception and Administration including, data entry and file management
- Level II Certified Dental Assistant, experience in clinical setting
- Three years’ experience in a large dental clinic or one year experience in a community/public health dental clinic or community health centre.
- Experience in dental office procedures, processes and knowledge of common dental clinic equipment and procedures.
- Experience working in a value based non-profit or social services organization.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with diverse individuals and groups.
- Excellent interpersonal skills necessary to work effectively as a member of an interdisciplinary team and across all levels of the organization’s diverse workforce.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, with the ability to clearly convey information and ideas.
- Positive attitude and dependable with strong initiative and the ability to work both independently and in a team oriented atmosphere.
- Open minded, eager and willing to constantly learn and improve oneself.
- Knowledge of East Mississauga Community Health Centre, the Peel community, and/or a second language that is reflective of the community being served are all preferable assets.
Proficiency in the Following Computer Skills
- Solid working knowledge and ability to navigate a PC windows environment, including shared drives.
- Strong skills and experience using Microsoft applications (Word, Outlook, and Excel).
- Strong skills and ability to easily navigate the internet/intranet environment.
- Experience and accuracy using database applications (Abeldent,)
- Ability to learn new software quickly and willingness to continuously develop technology skills.
- Ability to multi-task and appropriately prioritize in a dynamic environment.
- Ability to stay focused with frequent interruptions.
- Capacity for compassion in coping with clients who have many unmet needs.
- Requires some work on weekends and evenings.
- Ability to effectively understand the appreciation of guiding fundamentals at LAMP, i.e. Health Promotion, Anti-Oppression; Harm Reduction and the principles of community-based practice.
- There is an expectation for all employees to participate in two events per year for the agency; these events may be during the evening or on a weekend.
- Frequent data entry, with extended periods of time sitting stationary in front of a monitor while keyboarding.
- Ability to balance all job requirements in a busy atmosphere, including responding promptly to all communication.
- Occasional standing for extended periods of time and some occasional lifting may be required.
- Demonstrates good and safe work habits, and maintains a clean working environment.
- Ensures that staff and clients are compliant with LAMP’s Health & Safety regulations and LAMP’s policies and procedures, including the immediate reporting of any breaches of Health & Safety or Environmental incidents, accidents or concerns to their respective manager/supervisor and/or the Director, Human Resources & Operations.
As part of our mandate for inclusivity, reasonable accommodations can be made for all incumbents to perform the described physical functions of the aforementioned job.
LAMP Community Health Centre is dedicated to achieving a workforce that reflects the diversity of the community it serves and encourages applications from equity seeking groups.
Please send your resume with a cover letter to Human Resources:
Subject: Job Opening for Dental Secretary (Relief), Dental Program
External Deadline: 5:00 pm on Friday October 4, 2019
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for interviews will be contacted. No phone calls please.
Job Type: Casual
- dental clinic reception and administration: 1 year (Required)
- working in a non-profit or social services organization: 1 year (Required)
- working in a large dental clinic: 3 years (Required)
- Level II Certified Dental Assistant (Required)