The Perishables Category Manager will be ultimately responsible for our Deli Meat & Cheese, Seafood, Dairy, Floral and Bakery programs. The successful candidate will showcase ultimate ownership for these categories and will drive category sales, margin management, vendor relationships, product mix/range management, retail pricing, cost negotiations, data analysis, promotional planning, ordering coordination, supply continuity, internal coordination with stores and other Head Office teams.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for forecasting and achieving category sales goals, profit dollars and growth objectives.
- Serve as company Subject Matter Expert (SME) for assigned categories, staying abreast of category trends, commodity markets information, line product performance, competitors knowledge and local preferences (traveling as needed).
- Direct involvement and management of new product listing decisions and promotional initiatives.
- Manage selected supplier and vendor relationships; interview and negotiate with manufacturers, brokers and distributors.
- Manage assortment (including item setup & maintenance), follow and help shape pricing strategy, and lead shelf allocation process for assigned categories.
- Conduct general data entry/maintenance as required in a variety of software packages (e.g. SMS, Access, Excel, etc.).
- Maintain regular/promotional costing information up to date in Order Guides, Inventory Spreadsheets, PO Project.
- Develop, implement and monitor seasonal products, if applicable.
- Support development of marketing strategy for applicable categories.
- Review and communicate results on assigned categories, including internal and external strategic reviews.
- Work collaboratively with all departments across the organization.
- Educate team members on existing and new products.
- Participate in special projects as assigned.
- Must be able to perform the essential functions of this position independently and with minimal supervision.
- Various other duties may be determined, understanding that Sunterra operates in a very strong team-based atmosphere
- 5+ years experience in one of the following areas: replenishment buying/procurement, merchandising, store management, category management, retail operations and/or brand management. Including vendor negotiations, retail price setting, margin management and promotional planning.
- Subject Matter Expert (SME): Deli Meat and Cheese, Dairy, Seafood, Floral and/or Bakery categories.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Proficient in Excel, Word and Outlook
- Strong organization and multi-tasking skills
- Strong communication skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Ability to travel independently
Just like finishing a hard day's work on the farm, working at Sunterra will provide you with a sense of ownership, pride and the satisfaction of a job well done. You'll feel a sense of belonging when you join our growing Sunterra family as well as a sense of fulfilment as Full time and part-time Team Members will receive a discount of 50% off selected prepared foods when enjoyed in-store (these items vary by location).
The seeds of Sunterra took root on the Price family farm over forty years ago in Acme, AB. With gratitude for land that has been in their family for decades, the Price family decided to name their company after the very things that helped nourish their business - the sun and the earth - and Sunterra was born.