Senior Civil Structural Engineer
Assignment Type Individual/Hourly
Work Assignment Name Senior Civil Engineer
Location of Services Edmonds, Burnaby BC
Role Specialty Civil - Transmission - Stations
Estimated Work Start Date 16-Mar-2020
Estimated Work End Date 15-Mar-2021
- The E4 – Specialist Engineer is a professional engineer or geoscientist who applies engineering knowledge to provide engineering, estimating, planning, and quality management services for medium complexity projects and/or operations safely, with quality, within budget, and on time.
Experience and Role Accountabilities
- A minimum eight (8) years of experience in a relevant engineering field or equivalent.
- Develop safe engineering solutions by using initiative and judgement to perform tasks including developing designs, analyzing and resolving problems, and interpreting engineering specifications on medium complexity and scope assignments for our client's projects and operations.
- Assist project or operations management to meet safety, cost, quality, and time objectives by proposing changes in plans and estimated costs, recommending payment for work completed by contractors, preparing progress reports, coordinating work schedules and other similar tasks.
- Resolve highly technical and unusual design and field engineering problems by conducting independent studies and analysis, exercising independent judgment in selecting and interpreting information, recommending safe engineering designs to support successful operations and/or project completion at our client.
- Participate in our client’s engineering practice by conducting independent studies and analysis, contributing to the development of technical standards, exercising judgment in selecting and interpreting information, recommending safe engineering designs, and making decisions related to methods and designs as well as providing guidance and advice to other engineering professionals to develop future capability at our client.
- Deliver exceptional customer service by communicating with stakeholders and performing activities such as defining the scope of engineering/geoscience services to be provided, establishing the basic design criteria with the client, approving all related technical documentation, and assessing and reporting on work progress against standards, objectives, and specifications to support completion of projects safely, with quality, within budget and on time.
Education and Skills
- Registered Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) or Professional Geoscientist (P.Geo.) with Engineers & Geoscientists BC or with another jurisdiction and eligible for registration as such with Engineers & Geoscientists BC
- Intermediate English skills for professional environment, written and spoken
- Familiarity with CAD systems and drawing standards
- Ability to use standard industry design/analysis software
- Intermediate MS Office skills (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
Additional Experience and Role Accountabilities:
- This role requires experience with the design of electrical utility substations with operating voltages from 12kV to 500kV and demonstrated experience working with utility design solutions a in an electric utility environment.
- This position is needed to help with an increasing work load in capital project, emergency replacement and restoration work, asset management strategic OMA work programs and Owners Engineer review work.
- Prepare project documentation and deliverables in accordance with our client's project and Engineering Design Practices (i.e. evaluation reports, specifications, proposals, estimates, design basis', calculations, hazard logs, test plans).
- Prepare design work packages including scope, duration, and level of effort estimates.
- Prepare signed/sealed engineering deliverables as a Professional of Record (PoR) in accordance with EGBC and Design Practices.
- Provide technical assistance and construction support in the field, and undertake field reviews as required by EGBC.
- Design of Transmission Stations at voltage ranging from 25kV to 500kV.
- Structural design, analysis and detailing for Concrete, Steel, Masonry and Timber structures associated with Electrical Substations and Switching Stations such as:
- Control, feeder and compressor buildings
- Electrical equipment supports and foundations (Transformers, Circuit Breakers, etc.)
- Line termination structures and foundations
- Single pole mast structures and foundations
- Underground concrete manholes/vaults and cable duct banks
- Modification, repair and upgrade of existing substation structures
- Seismic analysis and design
- Civil design, analysis and detailing for switchyard site development such as:
- Station access road alignment and profiles
- Fill embankments and retaining walls
- Site drainage, culverts and ditches
- Oil spill catchment and containment systems
Additional Education and Skills
- Ability to provide technical directions to junior engineers
- Ability to manage design tasks including scope, schedule and cost
- Ability to find engineering solutions that add value and to reach consensus
- Ability to communicate efficiently including verbal and technical writing in the English language, analytical, interpersonal communications and presentation skills
- Experience in project management including estimating, cost control, and project administration
Job Types: Full-time, Contract
- Civil Engineering: 8 years (Required)
- Hydroelectrical Utility: 5 years (Preferred)
- Stations Design: 5 years (Required)
- Bachelor's Degree (Required)