Do you have a love of the water? Do you enjoy working on boats? Are you interested in becoming a Deckhand on one of the province's ferries? Than come have a closer look at this opportunity to join our crew!
What can I expect to do in this role?
Under the supervision of the Ferry Mate you will:
- Assist in the operation and maintenance of a ferry vessel transporting vehicles and passengers at Glenora Ferry Services
- Assist with the loading/unloading of vehicles
- Securing and cast-off the vessel
- Respond to public inquiries
- Ensure vessel and shore facilities are maintained.
This position will require you to work 10 hour shifts days/nights and weekends as part of a 24/7 operation.
How do I qualify?
Customer Service and Communication Skills:
- You will be required to provide a medical certificate of fitness and be able to write and pass the Marine Emergency Duties Certificate to the level required by Transport Canada.
- You are able to meet the requirements of the Physical Demands Analysis for this position.
Judgement and Decision-Making Abilities:
- You have good verbal communication skills to exchanging information.
- You have courteous communication skills to provide quality customer service to the public.
- You have interpersonal skills to interact with crew and passengers.
Technical Knowledge and Skills:
- You can identify and resolve potentially dangerous, emergency or unsafe situation and/or conditions.
- You have awareness of safe working practices and procedures.
- You are able to stop vehicles in parking spaces such that passengers can exit safely
- You are able to conduct routine maintenance and cleaning of terminal facilities, docks and vessels.
- You are able to plan and organize daily routine and non-routine activities in a timely manner.
- You have knowledge of or are eager to learn about seamanship principles and safe practices and procedures relevant to Marine Operations.
- You have knowledge of or are able to learn about routine emergency procedures relevant to Marine Operations.
- You have knowledge of or can learn about the use and maintenance of lifesaving and firefighting equipment aboard vessels.
- You have the ability to conduct routine maintenance and cleaning of terminal facilities, docks and vessels.
3 Temporary, duration up to 6 months, 35 Hatchery Ln, RR 4, Picton, East Region
Ontario Public Service Employees Union
Understanding the job ad - definitionsSchedule:
Maintenance and Trades
Thursday, April 19, 2018