Reporting to and supervised by the Library Technician Level II/III, the On-Call Library Assistant works in conjunction with other Campus/College-wide library staff, contributes to effective campus library services and facility operations, and provides general library support to students, faculty and staff at North Island College.
You will be notified of assigned shifts by phone, and be required to complete timesheets for payroll purposes. There is no guarantee of hours of work under this temporary appointment. Please be advised that the end date of your appointment is subject to change and could be ended earlier or extended based on the College's operational or other requirements.
Under Article 1.05 b) of the NIC CUPE Local 3479 collective agreement a temporary employee with an assignment less than twelve (12) months is excluded from the agreement provisions relating to Seniority (Article 11) and Layoff and Recall (Article 12). The offer of this temporary appointment, on an on-call, as required basis, does not guarantee any type of continued or future employment with the College, neither is there any obligation on the part of the College to assign you available work for which you may be qualified. The ending of a temporary appointment is not a discharge and is therefore not subject to the just cause provisions of Article 10.01.
- Job Knowledge
- Planning & Organization
- Customer Service Excellence
- Communication & Interpersonal Skills
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Performs circulation tasks including charging/discharging library materials and collecting fines.
2. Processes intercampus/interlibrary loan requests for print and media, utilizing automated systems and following established policies and procedures.
3. Provides reference and research assistance.
4. Provides group and individual library instruction and assists students with catalogue, database and Internet searching.
5. Maintains the physical library collection and space, including book repair, shelf arrangement.
6. Processes new library materials by attaching labels, security strips and book covers.
7. Troubleshoots problems with equipment such as computers, printers and photocopier.
8. Assists in the training of, and delegates work to student assistants, where applicable.
9. Performs other related library duties as required, such as sorting mail, shelving, compiling library statistics, assembling book displays.
Required Education & Experience
1. Grade 12 plus 2 years of directly related, post-secondary education.
2. 1-2 years' work experience in an automated library.
Required Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
1. Demonstrated proficiency in the use of journal databases and e-resources
2. Basic level of proficiency with MS Office *
3. Proven communication, interpersonal and customer service skills, with demonstrated ability to exercise tact and diplomacy.
4. Good judgment to enable the position holder to work independently, use of initiative and analytical thinking to solve problems.
5. Clearly evidenced organizational and time management skills, with the ability to plan and prioritize tasks, ensure attention to detail and efficiently meet deadlines.
6. Skilled in effective team behaviors such as active listening, sharing, balanced participation, and development of shared team goals.
7. Must be adaptable to ongoing change with demonstrated positive attitude, flexibility and operational effectiveness.
- Applicants should be prepared for testing
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please scan copies of your transcripts into one document for attachment. If your transcripts are not available at the time of application, please attach a letter or certificate of confirmation from the educational institution.