JOB IDENTIFICATION: Grounds Worker
Under the supervision of the Director of Facilities and the general direction of the Maintenance Lead
Hand, provides maintenance and repair to grounds and playground equipment.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
01. Maintains lawns, shrubs, trees and planters.
02. Designs, installs, maintains and upgrades sprinkler systems.
03. Landscapes properties.
04. Applies pesticides and herbicides.
05. Operates landscaping equipment including lawn mowers, front-end loader, pruners, sprayers,
spreaders, shears, etc.
06. Performs maintenance and minor repairs to assigned equipment.
07. Installs and maintains fencing – welding when required.
08. Contacts and seeks advice from horticultural specialists and building inspectors.
09. Assists in planning, estimating, budget development, cost control and maintenance of records for
10. Meets with and discusses ideas/problems with contractors, inspectors, suppliers and Principals.
11. Maintains a variety of records and assists in the compilation of inspection dates.
12. Inspects and maintains playground equipment.
13. Selects, purchases and maintains inventory.
14. Operates District vehicles such as backhoe, tractor, and mower.
15. Reads and interprets drawings and specifications.
16. May, on occasion, be required to perform other job-related duties as assigned.
17. Provides a good role model.
18. Displays good interpersonal skills.
19. Maintains safe work practices.
01. Grade 12 or equivalent.
02. Trades Qualification – Horticultural diploma (2 year course).
03. Pesticide and Herbicide Licences.
04. Physical capability to perform duties.
05. Valid BC Class 5 driver’s license.
For CUPE (Local 173) For School District No. 74 (Gold Trail)
Last printed 10/20/2011 8:48:00 AM