Do you have a passion for adult education and want to make an impact on patient care for BC Residents? This position may be for you! You'd be involved in curriculum planning guidelines, curriculum content, training materials, training aids, documentation and assessment tools as well as coordination and delivery of training activities to ensure that all transcription training meets Lower Mainland Health Information Management standards.
Within the context of a patient and family-centered model of care, and in accordance with the Mission, Vision, Values, and strategic directions of Providence Health Care, the person promotes a safe, respectful, and civil working environment for patients, residents, families, visitors and staff.
Reporting to the Director, Transcription Services, the Specialist, Transcription Services Education is responsible for the planning, design and implementation of core education programs for transcription services for all Lower Mainland Health Information Management (LMHIM) serviced sites including development of curriculum planning guidelines, curriculum content, training materials, training aids, documentation and assessment tools as well as coordination and delivery of training activities to ensure that all transcription training meets LMHIM standards, aligns with industry best practices and complies with government, regulatory and other applicable requirements. Delivers training sessions, gathers feedback from stakeholders and monitors and evaluates effectiveness of training programs to ensure successful learning outcomes. Liaises on a regular basis with staff at all sites involved in related training activities to ensure adoption of core curriculum and standards, gathers input on required changes/updates and engages in joint evaluation of learning outcomes.
Comprehensive knowledge of teaching and learning principles, methods and tools and demonstrated ability to assess learning needs, prepare training plans, develop instruction strategies and evaluate outcomes of training programs.
Thorough knowledge of the computerized transcription/dictation platforms and how they integrate with other HIM and organization(s) systems.
Comprehensive knowledge of policy, procedures and standards for transcription.
Working knowledge of information security and confidentiality guidelines and policies such as the Freedom of Information and Protection and Privacy Act.
Demonstrated ability to lead the development and implementation of new standards and procedures.
Knowledge of hospital operations and health care administration requirements.
Degree/Diploma in Education supplemented by specific experience in adult education and curriculum development plus five (5) years recent, related experience including significant experience with transcription services, including electronic signature and front-end speech recognition, processes and systems in a health care setting or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience. Work related travel between PHC HIM sites may require the use of own vehicle for which mileage will be reimbursed according to PHC policies. Valid BC Class 5 Driver’s License required.
Initially, the role will be focused on training physicians in the new electronic signature and front end speech recognition (FESR) functionality that is being deployed by the current Lower Mainland Transcription Project. The individual will be trained in this functionality and will then be responsible for training and supporting the physician users. Once the initial group of physicians has been implemented, the role will broaden to include other LMHIM transcription educational priorities.
1. Leads the development and implementation of an education program for transcription & dictation system users based on LMHIM regional standards, industry best practice, government and regulatory and other requirements.
2. Gathers information from user departments and vendors regarding existing training programs, training objectives and training needs to ensure programs’ content adequately covers business requirements and to enable the development of accurate assessment tools.
3. Works with user departments, vendors, team members and other stakeholders to standardize all training programs and materials and assessment tools to the extent possible.
4. Acts as the key liaison and subject matter expert for the team with the organizations, HIM leadership, user groups, technical teams and other internal and external departments on educational programs and transcription policies/standards.
5. Advises and supports staff on curriculum development, assessment and use of teaching materials, software and equipment and other tools for course management. Develops guidelines for trainers and ensures content on internal learning hubs is up-to-date.
6. Delivers training sessions, including communicating training dates, managing training registration, logistics, facilities, room set up etc. Participates in user department orientation as required.
Job Type: Full-time