Are you a Customer Service Ninja?
What do you want to be today? Edmonton Public Library is looking for a fun, agile customer service expert to join our team! This is an exciting opportunity for an enthusiastic customer service ninja (aka Library Assistant) who enjoys working with the public in a challenging and fast-paced environment.
What we're looking for:
At EPL our mission is simple: we share! Our Library Assistants are versatile and friendly people who want to make a difference in the community. Helping people is important to them - one minute, they will help a new Canadian find material to learn English, and the next they will offer a preschool storytime and then help a customer download an eBook on their tablet. They answer questions for people of all ages, bending internet-based resources to their will. They are our customer service ambassadors connecting people to the resources they need. They are active in the community and visit schools, daycares and other organizations. They are tech-savvy, curious and eager to share what they know with others.
- An Information Management/Library Technology diploma or a directly related diploma with significant course content focused on education or community work, or an undergraduate degree from a recognized institution.
- A minimum of one year's work experience in a library or an environment where customer service is a core focus.
- Experience in the use of Microsoft Office programs, web-based services and other applications.
- Experience in providing reference services and readers' advisory services is preferred.
- Experience in planning and leading classes and events for customers of all ages is required; a particular emphasis on classes and events for young children is preferred.
What do you need to bring to this position?
- A commitment to upholding the Canadian Federation of Library Associations position statements on Intellectual Freedom and Diversity and Inclusion.
- Enthusiastic with the ability to provide excellent customer service.
- Demonstrated excellence in using communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to contribute positively and work effectively within a team environment.
- Comfortable with facilitating customer classes and events using new technologies.
- Ability and knowledge to assist customers with the use of technology, devices, information resources (print and electronic) and in the use of various service applications and web based platforms.
- Effective and creative problem solving and trouble shooting skills.
Physical requirements of the Library Assistant position include frequent standing, walking, and bending; lifting library materials, reaching to place materials on shelves, and pushing and pulling book carts.
- This position consists of varied schedules which include day, evening and weekend shifts.
- Satisfactory background screening is required for this position, which includes a Criminal Record Check/Police Information Check.
Who we are:
The secret ingredient for making EPL a magical place is no secret at all; in fact, it's very simple: We share. We share stories, ideas and experiences. We share with our customers, our communities, and ourselves. We are Edmonton's largest lender of all manner of information and entertainment.
$28.77 - $36.73 per hour*
*Approximately $52,579 - $67,105 per annum based on a 35 hour work week.
Shift differential may apply in accordance with the terms and conditions of the CSU 52 Collective Agreement.