Kennedy House Youth Services has a long and fine tradition of providing personal care for young people in the Greater Toronto Area. We started with an initial family-like group home in 1971 and have added along the way additional residential programs, a state-of-the-art secure custody facility, bailiff services, day treatment programs, shelter services, developmental services, and outreach community services in designated priority neighbourhoods.
Kennedy House works with youth to enable them to grow as individuals to contribute to as members of the community. This is achieved by providing customized support and building trusting relationships.
We are looking for several relief on call staff, full time and part time contract positions as well as a full time Developmental Services Workers.
This person would work as a team member in a residential setting working with youth that are living with developmental disabilities.
This position identifies the needs of individuals supported and delivers supports and programs consistent with life plans in order to enhance their capacity to function in all aspects of community living. Responsibilities include developing and implementing life skills programs based on the life plan, providing case management to individuals on caseload, providing appropriate personal and physical care, crisis response, counselling and emotional support.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Identifying program needs of individuals supported, participating in the development and implementation of life plans, developing and implementing life skills programs based on the life plan, assisting in monitoring achievement of personal outcomes.
- Providing case management to individuals on caseload, providing appropriate personal and physical care including medication administration, crisis response, advocating on behalf of individuals supported and liaising with family, medical and other professionals and other service providers to address needs.
- Providing life skills training and emotional support to individuals supported on a one-on-one or group basis and referring to professionals when necessary.
- Maintaining documentation, monitoring finances, ensuring an appropriate standard of living.
- Providing direction to part-time and volunteer staff as required.
Job Type / Category
- Will be required to work rotating shifts including evenings and weekends for full time.
- Contract positions hours vary.
- May be required to travel to different Program locations within the east GTA
- Physical fitness sufficient to deal with client behavioural issues as required
- Manual dexterity required to use desktop computer and peripherals.
- We have a few full time contract positions available up to 1 year
Required Education, Skills and Qualifications
- Knowledge of health-care procedures and mechanical equipment – wheelchairs, lifts, G-tubes and other specialized equipment as asset.
- With a DSW Diploma, or a Community College Diploma/ University degree with a focus on Social Services and Behavioural Science, 1+ years work experience (including college placement) is required.
- Current certification in CPR and First Aid are mandatory
- Current certification in CPI with autism awareness training preferred
- Valid Class G Driver’s License
- Acceptable Police Check and Vulnerable Sector Search must be current and maintained
- Knowledge of developmental needs (intellectual, emotional, physical, and social) of children and youth
- Clinical skills, including experience and ability working with and managing difficult behaviour
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Broad awareness of other cultures, values, identities and perspectives with a demonstrated ability and interest in working with and for diverse populations
- Ability to write legible, clear and concise reports and person-centred plans
- Excellent organization skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to interact with various departments, as required
- Ability to plan, prioritize and coordinate multiple projects
- Ability to gather, analyze and evaluate a variety of data.
Please note the successful applicant will have a six month probationary period.
No phone calls please. We thank all candidates for their interest.
Only those selected for an interview will be notified.
Comprehensive medical benefits for full time permanent positions.
At Kennedy House Youth Services, we are committed to a supportive work environment, where employees have the opportunity to reach their fullest potential. Diversity and inclusion is a central part of our culture and we aspire to be a workplace that is respectful to everyone
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time, Contract
Salary: $17.00 /hour
- DSW including placement: 1 year (Preferred)
- Full G Driver's Licence (Required)
- First Aid & CPR Level C (Required)
- Police Check with Vulnerable Sector Search (Required)