A two-bed, staffed residential home providing emergency placement services to children and youth, who will receive individualized care. The length of stay varies depending on how soon alternate housing arrangements can be coordinated. A majority of the children and youth have experienced some form of trauma resulting in unhealthy coping mechanisms. Placements may occur at any time of day or night, depending on the needs of the children or youth.
This emergency resource program is unique in that placements are identified by MCFD and may come from any regional MCFD offices throughout the lower mainland, from Hope to Vancouver.
The Program Coodinator 1 plans, implements and oversees the day to day activities of a program in this CARF accredited agency. They participate in program development, formulation of policies and procedures, program evaluation, and budget preparation, and works closely with community partners. They also carries a direct service caseload. This position requires union membership with CUPE.
This permanent full-time position will work 40 hours per week, with a weekly schedule of:
- Tuesday through Saturday 1600-2400
In Your Role You Will
- Participate in assessing, setting goals, and planning (individual program plans, personal service plans) for individuals in program; documents, implements and contributes to program evaluation.
- Provide life skills training such as meal preparation, housekeeping, personal care skills and personal finance; implements personal service plans.
- Participate in various client-focused activities in accordance with care plans.
- Recognize, analyze and deal with potential emergency situations such as client’s aggressive behaviour to ensure no harm comes to the client and/or the public; reports problems to supervisor.
- Administer medication to clients in accordance with established policy and procedures.
- Assist with case management by identifying potential problems and reporting any difficulties; provides input to counselor or professional regarding the development of appropriate program plans to achieve residents’ objectives; contributes to the evaluation of residents’ progress and prepare reports.
- Provide emotional support and feedback to residents and their families.
- Transport and assist residents to appointments, shopping or leisure activities; operates motor vehicles safely and legally while transporting clients or on WJS business.
- Perform residential maintenance and housekeeping duties such as laundry, sweeping, mopping floors, inventory, shopping, cleaning equipment and food services.
- Maintain reports such as statistics, logbooks and daily activities relating to clients.
- Identify social, economic, recreational and educational services in the community that will meet clients’ needs; maintain liaison with other agencies, professionals, government officials, and the community.
- Utilize practices that promote health, welfare, safety and security of persons served.
- Participate in the OHS Committee as required.
- Perform miscellaneous job-related duties as required.
*** Prior to confirmation of employment all applicants must provide a current (dated within 6 months of hiring date) Criminal Record Check and Ministry Check. These checks can take up to 6 weeks to obtain, please ensure you prepare accordingly.
As An Ideal Candidate You Possess
- A diploma or degree in one of the humanities, social work or related field. Other combinations of education and experience may be considered.
- Minimum of two years recent related experience in complex health (personal hygiene and seizure experience is an asset), or a combination of relevant education and experience.
- Some supervisory or management experience preferred
- Valid CPR/First Aid
- Valid BC Driver’s License with clean driver’s abstract and a reliable vehicle
- Non-Violent Physical Crisis Intervention Certificate and Conflict Resolution Certificate
- Clear physician’s note confirming suitability, including a negative tuberculosis screening test
- Positive behavior supports experience
- WHMIS, and Food Hygiene and Sanitation certificates an asset
- Ability to comprehend information and communicate effectively both orally and in writing (in English), including business communications and basic mathematics.
**Successful applicants will be required to participate in MCFD screening prior to confirmed employment with WJS Canada.**
Applicants will be required to provide three (3) professional references that WJS Canada will be able to contact in a timely manner at time of interview.
What WJS Canada does
WJS Canada's mission is 'We serve individuals and families with high quality, personalized, and culturally responsive support'. The support we provide for families, emphasizes building relationships to enhance the family's strengths and achieve goals that address their needs for support in areas of struggle. Services are individualized and based on the family's belief that their own internal resources can be strengthened and that other helpful skills can be developed. For more information on WJS, services and career opportunities, visit www.wjscanada.com
Where do we work?
While WJS serves individuals in many communities across Canada, this opportunity will be based in Maple Ridge BC. Situated on the southern coast of British Columbia, Maple Ridge offers outstanding scenery, amazing diversity and extensive culture; all within a mild climate. It is an area rich with eco-adventures and personality. Amenities include international cuisine, boutique shopping, community festivals, a variety of eco-tourism, along with the natural beauty of the area, suitable for individuals of every age.
Our Employees Enjoy
At WJS Canada, trust, strong connections, innovation and results are the pillars of our mandate. We manage by developing our core strength: our people. We give employees the tools to do the job, developing their competence and their confidence, by conducting training programs to ensure professional development and build skills, employee morale, employee safety, health, loyalty and satisfaction. Developing people includes respecting employees work-life balance through flexible hours, locations and duties. We support our staff with assistance and benefit packages, innovative wellness programs and compassion for the life challenges they face.
For more information on WJS Canada visit our website:
No telephone calls please. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be notified.