The Nuclear Waste Management Organization is responsible for the safe, long-term
management of used nuclear fuel in Canada. The approach it is implementing, known as
Adaptive Phased Management (APM), involves developing a centralized underground
repository, supported by a robust social and technical research program in collaboration
with Canadian universities, consultants and international waste management organizations.
Join our growing team of scientists, engineers and other professionals to work
collaboratively with Canadians in implementing our management approach in a manner that
safeguards people and respects the environment, now and in the future.
ASSISTANT BOARD SECRETARY
We are currently seeking an experienced Assistant Board Secretary reporting to our Vice
President & General Counsel at our Toronto headquarters. The successful candidate will
assist the Board Secretary in all activities relating to the Board of Directors / Advisory
Council and governance operations of the NWMO. This role will also assist in coordinating
and providing legal support services for the operations of the NWMO.
- Provide overall administrative support to the Vice President & General Counsel and
Board Secretary in relation to the Board of Directors / Advisory Council roles and
- Assist the Board Secretary in the overall coordination and administration of activities
in relation to the Board of Directors and its Committees of the Board and Advisory
- Act as a back-up to the Board Secretary at all times including presence in Board /
Advisory Council meetings for minute taking.
- Provide assistance in organizing, attending and in the preparation of draft minutes of
all Board / Advisory Council meetings and retreats.
- Liaise with CEO, Executive Committee and management, as needed. Assist in the
preparation of drafts for Board and Committee meeting agendas and gather
- Coordinate meeting logistics and assist in the preparation and delivery of materials
to the Board and management, for the meetings of the Board of Directors and its
- Provide administrative support to in-house lawyers in relation to preparing and
reviewing contracts; assembling confidential material and other legal departmental
- Assist in the coordination of legal departmental budget (monthly, quarterly, annually)
including tracking legal expenses by project / initiative. Review external counsel
legal invoices as received against contracts/agreement and prepare and process for
- Assist in the management of the Board budget.
- Provide support in the planning and arranging of orientation sessions for new
Directors. Assists in the preparation of orientation binders, materials, Director
Handbook of Board practices and policies. Will also assist in the assessing of
Board training requirements and will arrange courses or training sessions, as
Qualifications & Experience:
- Work with General Counsel on special projects.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- College diploma required.
- Completion or willingness to complete Governance Professionals of Canada
Education Certification Program or similar program an asset.
- Over 4 years’ of related experience in a similar role i.e. Corporate Secretary
Department / Law Clerk.
- Corporate Governance experience is required.
- Relevant Corporate Secretarial/Board Committee operational experience is required.
- Experience managing or assisting with the management of Board & Committee
processes and working with online portals.
- Preferable industry experience in a regulated institution.
You must be eligible to work in Canada and must be able to meet security clearance
We offer a competitive base salary and comprehensive health care benefits package.
The NWMO is committed to contribute to reconciliation in all its work by co-creating a shared
future built on rights, equity and well-being. As an employment equity employer NWMO actively
seeks Indigenous peoples, visible minorities, women, people with disabilities, and additional
diverse identities for our workforce. The NWMO will provide accommodation to applicants with
disabilities. If you require accommodation, please Contact Us.
Please submit your application via e-mail by December 13, 2019 by quoting Assistant
Board Secretary to: