This position’s objective is to keep all the church areas clean and tidy including the offices, washrooms of the Church, outside stairs, driveway and sidewalk. This position may also be called upon to do housekeeping duties such as changing linens on beds and cleaning up rooms in the shelter.
*DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Clean building floors by sweeping, mopping, scrubbing or vacuuming
- Gather and empty trash
- Service, clean and supply restrooms
- Clean windows inside and outside (where accessible), glass, and mirrors using soapy water or other cleaners, sponges and squeegees
- Dust furniture, walls, ceilings and equipment.
- Fix toilets that are running or plugged
- Clean ventilation system intake and output grills
- Mix water and detergents or acids in containers to prepare cleaning solutions, according to specifications and WHMIS requirements
- Follow procedures for the use of chemical cleaners and power equipment in order to prevent damage to floors and fixtures
- Strip, seal, finish, and polish floors
- Clean and restore building interiors damaged by vandalism including painting as required
- Monitor building security and safety by locking doors, garbage bins, etc as required and alerting Shelter staff when assistance is needed
- Move heavy furniture, equipment and supplies either manually or by using vehicles
- Notify management concerning the need for major repairs or additions to building operating systems
- Remove snow from sidewalks, driveways and outside the loading dock using snow shovels and spread snow melting chemicals
- Complete requisitions for supplies and equipment needed for cleaning and maintenance duties and submit to the Operations Manager
- Perform preventative maintenance inside and outside the building upon request of the Operations Manager
- Set up, arrange and remove decorations, tables, chairs, ladders and scaffolding to prepare rooms for events such as meeting, dinners, etc.
- Maintain overall building appearance including watering plants, changing light bulbs, ensuring signage is free from graffiti, etc.
- Ensure cleanliness of bunk beds by cleaning with disinfectant and spraying insecticides for bed bugs using proper WHMIS practices.
- Maintain bunk beds to ensure the safety of employees and Shelter Residents by ensuring safety railing and screws are fastened correctly
- Ensure laundry is completed daily.
- Other duties, as required.
*SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITY
The incumbent works fairly independently. If clarification is required, it is expected that the incumbent will request further direction from the Operations Manager.
- Regular communication is maintained with all levels of staff and management.
- Communication is also maintained with management and co-workers as work is assigned. and completed, and information exchanged on an ongoing basis.
- Ability to maintain a calm, welcoming, empathetic and professional demeanor with vulnerable and/or marginalized individuals.
- Ability to avoid engaging in incidents with staff, Community Members and volunteers.
- Good physical condition with ability to lift up to 25 kilograms.
- Ability to read and understand chemical labels.
- Ability to work different shifts and to maintain a good attendance and on time record.
- A driver’s license that is valid for the past ten (10) years is a plus.
- Good command of written and verbal English
Janitorial/Building Service Worker training an asset, WHIMIS
Experience in a non-profit related environment, e.g. shelter, group home, recovery house.
Job Types: Part-time, Casual
Salary: $19.45 /hour
- Janitorial: 1 year (Preferred)
- Non-Profit related: 1 year (Preferred)