Merry – Hill Golf Club is a beautifully manicured 27-hole executive length golf course in Breslau, Ontario only minutes from Guelph, Kitchener-Waterloo, Cambridge, Elora, and Fergus.
The role of the Clubhouse Manager is an integral part of the operation at Merry-Hill Golf Club. Applicants should be enthusiastic, outgoing, driven to provide exceptional customer service to our guests. Working with the Director of Operations, the Clubhouse manager will lead our team of frontline staff through the golf season providing support, training, and enthusiasm to ensure that guests have an outstanding experience with each visit. Knowledge of the golf industry is highly recommended but not required, management experience is a must. The Clubhouse Manager is responsible for directing the Food and Beverage operation in addition to the Golf operations so a keen understanding of food handling, stock rotation, and cost control is very important.
This is a salaried position that runs approximately from March to November in a seasonal capacity. The opportunity for a multi-year agreement is open for discussion. Early mornings and weekends are required regularly.
Responsibilities and Duties
The responsibilities of the Clubhouse Manager includes all activities related to the operation of the Clubhouse including:
- The hiring of staff for Golf Shop, Starter, Back Shop, Player’s Assistant, and Food & Beverage staff positions. Staff requirements and applicants for hire are to be reviewed and approved by the Director of Golf Operations. Ensure all staffing requirements are fulfilled including unforeseen circumstances.
- Training, supervision, and leadership of staff in both the Golf Shop and F&B departments. Scheduling of staff to provide optimum customer service to guests.
- Timely reporting of department payroll and required employment paperwork to Head Office.
- The Manager will schedule duty time appropriate to the job requirements. The Manager's scheduled times should reflect a presence for direct supervision during peak play activity and for tournaments.
- Ordering, pricing and inventory control of retail items for Golf Shop. Review and verification of invoices and related documents for the payment of supplier accounts by Head Office. Retail display merchandising and stock rotation.
- Preparation of reports relating to sales, inventory, cost-of-goods-sold, payroll, etc. for review with the Director of Golf Operations or submission to Head Office. A monthly physical inventory of Golf Shop and Food & Beverage products. Month-end reports must be submitted promptly to ensure a minimum of delay in the production of corporate financial statements.
- Co-ordination of golf-related tournament activity with all departments necessary.
- Planning, operating and directing league activity for the Wednesday Women’s League and Monday Men’s League. Working with the league coordinators and Management Team to ensure all aspects of league play are successful.
- Coordinate with the Certified Golf Teaching Professional to ensure consistent and clear marketing across the Merry-Hill Social Media platforms (Facebook, Twitter & Instagram).
- Oversee the Food & Beverage operations to ensure the product is onsite as needed. Ordering from all suppliers as required.
- Maintaining hours of operation for the Golf Shop to ensure optimum customer service to guests. Opening and closing times will vary throughout the season. Hours of operation will be reviewed regularly with the Director of Operations.
- Housekeeping duties throughout the Clubhouse. Arranging regular cleaning with a service provider, ensuring regular housekeeping duties are performed by the staff and coordinating the cleanliness of the “Comfort Station” on course with the Superintendent.
- Budget control for the direct labour component of all Clubhouse related operations.
- Other duties as assigned by the Board of Directors or Director of Operations.
Qualifications and Skills
Candidates should have:
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience using computerized POS systems
- Understanding of Microsoft Office programs (Word & Excel)
- A degree or diploma in a management-focused program
- A minimum of 2 years of management experience
- An interest and understanding of the game of golf
- Food and beverage experience (serving or cooking)
- Cash handling knowledge and experience
- Leadership skills to encourage and empower employees
- Available to work early mornings and weekends based on seasonal demand (Very strong work ethic)
- Access to a vehicle and a valid driver's license
- Certifications including Smart Serve, Safe Food Handling, WHMIS, and Health & Safety.
If you require any accommodations during the application process, please advise in your cover letter.
Weekly remuneration based on applicant experience.
Food and Beverage allowance for use on site.
Fuel allowance for travel on company business.
Golf privileges are available.
Suitable candidates will be contacted for interviews.
Job Type: Full-time
Contract length: 9 months
Job Types: Full-time, Contract
- Management: 2 years (Preferred)