The Warehouse Operations Manager is responsible for the efficient day-to-day operation of the warehouse with particular emphasis on the management of the warehouse personnel and the implementation of warehouse action plans. This role manages a warehouse that totals between 100,000 and 500,000 sq. ft. The tracking and recording of equipment hours, assurance that equipment maintenance schedules are followed and employee meetings are conducted.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Develops a strategic plan in conjunction with senior warehouse management to ensure the efficient and cost effective operation and utilization of the facility
- Ensures efficient shipping and receiving work schedules to meet operational goals
- Directs the operations of the warehouse supervisors and warehouse personnel
- Oversees all inbound and outbound shipments to ensure they are correct and carried out in a timely fashion
- Audits compliance of both internal and external SOP’s.
- Ensures that equipment is utilized in the most efficient manner
- Reviews the daily work objective and determines productivity requirements to produce during the shift to meet the overall building objectives
- Partners with other leaders to balance labor ensuring appropriate levels of staffing in regards to daily workload.
- Matches the skill and background of personnel to work required.
- Conducts analysis of workload compared to labor hours and equipment.
- Plans long-term labor needs based on sales, forecasts and historical data
- Makes recommendations to senior warehouse management on programs to improve warehouse operations.
- Understands how day to day decisions impact financial outcomes
- Be open to learning financial aspects of the business including, but not limited to, budgeting, forecasting, reading GL, Flash, and P&L
- Run productivity and labor reports to analyze gaps in performance
- Ensures the daily pre-shift meetings cover previous productivity, operational problems, forecasting workload and any other pertinent company information.
- Ensures proper staffing and supports hiring for all facility operations.
- Ensures all new employees are properly on-boarded; completing required paperwork and following a structured training schedule.
- Produces and effectively communicate department goals and individual performance goals that ensure the facility achieves operational success.
- Manages and maintains good human resources practices with direct reports, and adherence to established corporate and department policies and procedures
- Works with Human Resources to resolve employee relation issues, discipline actions, problem resolution and terminations.
- Provides feedback, coaching, guidance, and recognition to enhance other’s skill development.
- Plays an active role in employee development and talent selection.
- Acts as a role model for the department in support of corporate mission, vision, and values.
- Provides regular coaching and feedback on performance, prepares and presents formal performance appraisals and make recommendations and approve annual compensation increases.
- Exhibits a commitment to self-development by staying current on information, tools, and systems.
- Travels to other warehouses and participates in department or company meetings, as necessary
Safety and Security
- Ensures the safe, clean and efficient operation of the warehouse to meet service standards
- Actively supports and participates in all safety initiatives in the facility
- Implements safety and sanitation schedules that ensure the facilities compliance with corporate, OSHA, FDA, AIB or ASI standards.
- Performs safety observations to coach employees on safety procedures
- Implements the necessary improvements to procedures and facility to prevent re- occurring accidents.
- Prevents associate incident and injury by overseeing accident investigations, assessing root cause analysis and implementing necessary improvements
- Responsible for the management of equipment and coordinates the maintenance of equipment with local vendor.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Supply Chain, Business or related field preferred
- 5+ years of supervisory experience in a warehouse or distribution environment
- Experience with Warehouse Management Systems (Manhattan preferred)
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications
- Working knowledge of warehouse / mechanical equipment
- Working knowledge of OSHA, DOT, HAZMAT, FDA regulations and the willingness to become certified in one or more of these areas as necessary
- Ability to work in fast paced environment.
- Ability to handle changing priorities and use good judgment in stressful situations
- Experience with seasonal work forces is a plus, but not required.
- Experience with or desire to learn performance metrics, process improvement, and Lean/Six Sigma tools.
- Excellent talent management and team building skills
- Excellent verbal, non-verbal, and written communication skills
- Excellent customer service skills specifically with external clients
- Excellent analytical and mathematical skills
- Chemical and regulatory experience.
- Ability and availability to work irregular or extended hours including nights, weekends and holidays as needed by the customer.
- Must be able to stand/walk for up to 10-12 hours.
- Lift and move totes up to 50 pounds.
- Regular bending, lifting, stretching and reaching both below the waist and above the head.
- Walking in and around area with great frequency; facilities are over a quarter mile (400 metres) in length.
- Should be able to work in environments with variable noise levels, lighting conditions and temperature variation and able to access all areas of building without limitations.
To all agencies: Please, no phone calls or emails to any employee of NFI about this opening. All resumes submitted by search firms/employment agencies to any employee at NFI via-email, the internet or in any form and/or method will be deemed the sole property of NFI, unless such search firms/employment agencies were engaged by NFI for this position and a valid agreement with NFI is in place. In the event a candidate who was submitted outside of the NFI agency engagement process is hired, no fee or payment of any kind will be paid.
Job Type: Full-time