Position Title: Licensed Practical Nurse
Department/Location: McCauley Lodge
Hours of Work: Days/ Evenings
Days of Work: Varies
Island Community Mental Health uses national standards to guide our organization to effectively examine and improve the quality and safety of our services, and achieve excellence in all areas (i.e. governance, service delivery, leadership, medication management, infection prevention and control) of the organization.
We promote integration in the communities surrounding Victoria through partnerships with the individual, their family members and the community.
To further help serve our community, we are looking for compassionate and dedicated employees to join our team.
Within the context of a person-centered care model, the LPN performs Licensed Practical Nurse duties within the competency guidelines and standards of practice outlined by the College of LPNs of BC and the current legislative scope of practice, in a licensed care mental health setting.
- Assesses, plans, implements and evaluates nursing care to meet the needs of clients in accordance with competency guidelines within the established standards of practice and current legislative scope of practice;
- Participates, as a member of an interdisciplinary team, by providing input in the development, implementation, assessment and evaluation of client care plans. Attends care meetings;
- Encourages and assists clients in activities of daily living as required, such as bathing, skin care, oral hygiene and toileting;
- Administers medication to residents and provides medication reminders, in accordance with established policy and procedures;
- Observes clients and their environments, ensures pertinent information and significant clinical changes are communicated in a timely manner to the Director of Care, Manager and team;
- Monitors safety and reports risks, near misses, incidents, accidents and unsafe and/or hazardous conditions to the Manager;
- Provides support and feedback to clients and their families;
- Provides direction and shares knowledge with care providers;
- Completes and maintains all documentation such as progress notes, observations, incident reporting, nursing interventions and client charting according to established standards, regulations, policies and procedures, ensuring confidentiality is maintained according to ICMH policy;
- Maintains an up to date knowledge of policies and procedures, particularly those concerning the administration and recording of medications, licensing, safety and emergency procedures;
- Demonstrates methods and provides information to clients in relation to activities of daily living, housekeeping, and recovery-oriented activities;
- Participates in staff meetings, family meetings, and medication reviews;
- Liaises with care providers to schedule appointments;
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Typical Education, Training and Experience:
- Graduation from a recognized program for Practical Nurses
- Current full practicing licensure with the College of Licensed Practical Nurses of BC (CLPNBC)
- Certificates in CPR and First Aid
- Clear Criminal Record Check (Vulnerable Persons)
- TB Test
- Food safe, WHIMS, Class 5 Driver’s License, ASIST, Violence Prevention, Motivational Interviewing, and Harm Reduction an asset
- Minimum of two years recent related experience
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Typical Abilities & Skills:
- Knowledge on mental health and substance use disorders
- Knowledge of Psychosocial Rehabilitation principles
- Knowledge of community based resources
- Knowledge of computer applications, Microsoft Office, eMar, case management software
- Demonstrated leadership skills
- Ability to communicate effectively, including verbal, written, listening, and understanding
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment
- Ability to operate related equipment
- Ability to organize and prioritize
- Ability to establish and maintain rapport with clients
- Ability to observe and recognize changes in clients
- Ability to problem solve and resolve conflict
All successful applicants will provide a clear Solicitor General’s Criminal Record Check.
All successful applicants will provide a clear TB skin test.
Job Type: Casual
- Licensed Practical Nurse (Preferred)