Inter-Community Bylaw Enforcement Officer
In collaboration and on behalf of the Village’s of Cache Creek and Clinton, the Village of Ashcroft has an exciting opportunity for a Bylaw Enforcement Officer to join the Corporate Services Team.
TERM – 2 Year Term PT - based on a flexible 28-hour work week
The Village’s of Ashcroft, Cache Creek and Clinton are situated in the Southern Interior region of BC and boast some of the best climate in the province. Located on Highway 97 and Highway 97 C (Ashcroft) these communities offer a vibrant outdoor lifestyle with many recreational opportunities. The climate, central location and welcoming communities make any of these Villages a great place to live, work and play.
The strategic orientation of our communities is to pursue growth and sustainability while maintaining the essence of small-town quality of life. Our dedicated staff work to achieve these goals, guided by our vision, mission and values of respect, collaboration, integrity, service and stewardship.
Reporting to the Chief Administrative Officer’s of Ashcroft, Cache Creek and Clinton, the Bylaw Enforcement Officer (BEO) supports the maintenance and enhancement of each Village’s safety, wellness, and attractiveness while reducing the risk of liability. The BEO investigates and seeks resolution to a variety of regulatory issues. This role has extensive contact with the public and liaises closely with regulatory departments within the Villages of Ashcroft, Cache Creek and Clinton. In this role, you will be responsible for the enforcement of a range of bylaws including but not limited to: Animal Control, Business Licencing, Good Neighbour, Traffic, and Zoning. You encourage voluntary compliance with the respective Village’s regulatory bylaws through education, mediation, and progressive enforcement; you will issue violation notices and attend as a witness in adjudication hearings when necessary.
The BEO exhibits superior communication and conflict resolution skills, keen interest in building constructive community relationships and
enforcement in support of the participating communities’ vision and key municipal objectives and the needs of citizens and community best practices.
· Ability to read, understand, communicate and explain technical information and provide effective customer service.
· Proven interpersonal, conflict resolution and/or nonviolent communication skills.
· Ability to maintain strict confidentiality and comply with policies and procedures.
· Proven ability to multi-task in a fast-paced, high stress environment.
· Ability to work independently and collaborate with the broader team.
· Ability to organize work, execute tasks efficiently demonstrating good judgement and sound problem-solving abilities.
· Ability to operate related equipment.
· Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
· Completion of Bylaw Compliance, Enforcement and Investigative Skills, Level I and II supplemented by two (2) years’ recent related experience in municipal bylaw enforcement and investigations or another relevant field is preferred. An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered.
The successful applicant must have and maintain a valid BC Driver’s License (Class 5 or better), a satisfactory Safe Drivers Abstract and Police Information Check as a condition of employment.
This position is in the CUPE bargaining unit with a wage rate of $27.47 per hour (2021 rates) and is based on a 7 hour/day, 4-day work week (2 days in Ashcroft, 1 day in Cache Creek and 1 day in Clinton). A fleet vehicle will be provided to the BEO stored at the Village of Ashcroft. If you are seeking a challenging opportunity and are committed to working in a manner that supports a respectful, healthy and safe environment, we invite you to apply.
This position will be posted until filled; for full consideration, please apply to the above noted email address before 11:59 pm on May 20, 2021.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however; only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
This position is an agreed upon two (2) year bylaw established collaboration between the communities of Ashcroft, Cache Creek and Clinton and may not be renewed at the end of the term.
Job Types: Part-time, Temporary
Salary: $27.47 per hour