Department: Communities, Culture, Tourism & Heritage
Type of Employment: Permanent
Union Status: NSGEU - NSPG
Closing Date: 6/2/2023 (Applications are accepted until 11:59 PM Atlantic Time)
The Department of Communities, Culture, Tourism and Heritage contributes to building a province which enhances pride in our creative and diverse communities and people, allowing us to embrace our past and influence our future. Our vision is for Nova Scotia to be an acknowledged leader as a place where cultural identity, expression, and economy prosper. A place where all people honour and embrace diversity and heritage.
The Nova Scotia Museum, consisting of 28 museum sites, is the most decentralized museum in Canada. It is also one of the oldest provincial museums in the country. The Nova Scotia Museum is responsible for the provincial collection of over one million artifacts and specimens housed at museum sites and storage facilities across the province.
Note - this competition will be used to fill three administrative positions at the Nova Scotia Museum:
- Administrative Clerk, Infrastructure, Collections and Interpretation (ICI)
- Administrative Clerk, Museum of Natural History
- Administrative Clerk, Maritime Museum of the Atlantic.
The Administrative Clerk positions provide administrative support to various units within the Nova Scotia Museum, including the Museum of Natural History, the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic, the Infrastructure, Collections and Interpretation (ICI) unit and the Nova Scotia Museum’s Director Office. These positions perform a variety of complex clerical assignments requiring the incumbent to demonstrate independent analysis, exercise judgment, and demonstrate a detailed knowledge of procedures, rules, acts, and regulations. The Clerk III positions perform duties involving more technical clerical tasks.
The Administrative Clerk positions receive, classify, reconcile, consolidate, and/or summarize documents and information, and perform standard and non-routine administrative data processing tasks. These positions use data from a variety of sources to compile complex reports, including reports on financial information to ensure management receives appropriate information in an accurate and timely manner.
All positions will maintain statements, accounts, and database records within established procedures, and take appropriate action to secure or make payment or resolve discrepancies.
The Administrative Clerk positions perform duties relating to correspondence, procurement, inventory and filing.
These positions prepare letters, memoranda and reports for approval, while following up on pending issues. The positions identify and undertake investigation. of variances against budgets, standards, or procedures.
These positions deal with internal and external clients and suppliers and work directly with staff to trouble shoot issues and provide guidance.
The ideal candidate(s) are friendly, courteous, and outgoing; value teamwork, work well with others and demonstrate tact, listening skills and a positive attitude. The candidate(s) will possess the following qualifications:
- A high school education plus four years of related experience. An acceptable equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Experience processing financial information, including management of statements, invoices and purchases.
- Experience compiling reports for management
- Must be organized with good problem-solving skills and be solution oriented. Computer proficiency (word processing, email, internet, POS) is required as well as the ability to conduct basic research.
- Experience working with heritage or cultural organizations is an asset
- Demonstrated experience working with teams in an administrative setting.
- Demonstrated attention to detail and accuracy.
- Must be able to work independently to respond to inquiries, and direct inquiries to appropriate persons in profession manner, recognizing importance of the confidential nature of the work.
Applicants relying on education and experience equivalencies must demonstrate such equivalencies in their application.
Based on the employment status and Union agreement, the Government of Nova Scotia offers its employees a wide range of benefits such as Health, Dental, Life Insurance, Pension, General Illness (Short and Long Term), Vacation and Employee and Family Assistance Programs. Click here to learn more about our various benefits offering and eligibility criteria.
- Career Development where you have access to career guidance, tools, resources, and ongoing training for every stage of your career.
- Engaging workplace. Our Employees feel valued, respected, connected, and tuned in. We have forward-thinking policies and strategies.
- countless career paths.
- Department Specific Flexible working schedules.
Pay Grade: CL 18
Salary Range: $1,675.62 - $1,874.80 Bi-Weekly
Employment Equity Statement:
Our goal is to be a diverse workforce that is representative, at all job levels, of the citizens we serve. The Government of Nova Scotia has an Employment Equity Policy, and we welcome applications from Indigenous People, African Nova Scotians and Other Racially Visible Persons, Persons with Disabilities and Women in occupations or positions where they are under-represented. If you are a member of one of these equity groups, you are encouraged to self-identify on your electronic application.
This is a bargaining unit position initially restricted to current civil service employees represented by the Nova Scotia Government Employees Union (NSGEU). If applying from outside a government office, employees must apply correctly via this link:
Failure to apply correctly means that your application will not be given first consideration as a bargaining unit applicant, and will only be included if external applications are pursued.
External applicants and current casual employees will only be considered if there are no qualified civil service bargaining unit candidates. PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will not be considered for an interview if applications are incomplete or are missing information.
Offer of employment is conditional upon the completion of all applicable background checks and confirmation of credentials, the results of which must be satisfactory to the employer. We thank all applicants for the interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. All questions and concerns may be directed to [email protected].