Who we are:
Spectrum Society assists adults with developmental disabilities to enjoy full lives in community, supported by networks of family, friends and allies.
What we offer:
- Competitive wages
- Hands-On Training
- Group Benefit package to all employees working 20 hours or more in a permanent position; includes extended Health/Dental, MSP and MPP
- Promotion of lifelong learning with ongoing training and advancement opportunities
- Annual Events to bring everyone together; people we support, their families and our team
What we are looking for:
RB has a dynamic personality and is looking for someone with a great sense of humour who likes to have fun and is confident but not directive of his time. It's important to maintain a positive attitude whatever the situation. He likes to walk; sometimes long distances. RB likes routine and predictability because that's how he knows what he can plan for his day and it's how he maintains his community connections, which are important to him.
RB directs his days; he typically has a plan in mind for the day and it's helpful to come prepared for whatever the day brings, inside or out. RB needs your assistance to pay close attention to the weather and his level of activity to determine if he needs to add or remove layers. He can't tell and won't ask, resulting in a lot of discomfort. Days with RB happen on foot and/or on transit. He enjoys walking, playing mini golf, bowling, swimming, playing pool and visiting his favorite places in Surrey. You will assist him in his weekly transit to Coquitlam to stay with his family.
Reports to: Manager
Rate of Pay: $18.34/hour to $20.94/hour
Probation: 3 Months
Driving Requirement: Driving not required
Preferred Training or Experience:
- Some prior experience supporting individuals who need assistance to avoid stressful situations that trigger escalation.
- Demonstrated understanding of communication through body language and attention to anxiety triggers.
- Very clear verbal communication; ability to determine the best or worst moment for communication.
- Communicates respectfully and patiently with supported individuals and others in the community.
- Demonstrated ability to allow others to direct while patiently maintaining safe boundaries.
- Excellent observation skills and ability to be casually and unobtrusively observant.
- Demonstrated ability to provide necessary guidance as suggestion in a positive way, allowing the person to make a needed change.
- Demonstrated ability to problem solve in the moment.
Specific Training or Experience Required:
- Supporting People who get anxious;
- Ability to motivate, encourage and engage the interests of others.;
- Computer proficiency (email, Word, internet usage);
Expected Hours of Work: 15 hours per week. Thursday, Friday, Saturday from 9am to 2pm.
Days could possibly change to T/W/Th or W/Th/F depending on the current work schedule of the right candidate.
Start Date: November 2019
If you think you are a fit for this position and RB, send us your resume along with an email about yourself! If you have a work permit, please ensure you are not restricted to work in the 'Health Services' field.
To learn more about Spectrum, visit https://www.spectrumsociety.org/
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: $18.34 to $20.94 /hour