These are exciting times for SmartCentres Real Estate Investment Trust (SmartCentres), one of the fastest growing fully integrated real estate organizations in Canada. SmartCentres offers consumers over 34 million square feet of high quality, open format retail shopping centres from coast to coast. We are positioned for growth and are dedicated to continuing to provide Canadian consumers with the value-based shopping experience that they demand.
As a SmartCentres Associate, you will be working alongside some of the top real estate professionals in the industry in an exciting entrepreneurial environment that allows you to take ownership of your work and see projects through from concept to delivery. Our Associates exhibit the personal drive to challenge how we can make our success today even better tomorrow!
If you are ready to maximize your full potential, we are ready to ensure it happens.
- Career training and development opportunities
- Competitive compensation and incentive plans
- Comprehensive benefits package
- An engaging entrepreneurial people-focused culture
Title: Property Accountant
Reports To: Manager, Property Accounting
Department: Property Accounting
Complete financial reporting for assigned properties on a timely basis. This includes accounts receivable reconciliations, maintenance of financial statements as well as property tax billings.
- University or college degree;
- Enrolled in 3rd or 4th level of a Professional Accounting designation (CGA, CMA);
- Minimum 3 to 5 years accounting experience or 3 years property accounting experience would be preferred;
- Good oral and written communication skills;
- Intermediate to advanced excel skills;
- Working knowledge of Real Estate /Property Management Software (Yardi preferred)
The duties and responsibilities for the accounting areas include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Ensure all monthly financial and management reporting required for project partners/co-owners, related to certain properties, is delivered accurately and on a timely basis;
- Ensure all accounting records related to all properties are kept up to date within guidelines established by generally accepted accounting principles and by the company and/or its partners/co-owners;
- Reconcile and maintain a full understanding of all balance sheet and income statement accounts and prepare a detailed variance analysis of revenue and expenses;
- Review and post monthly rent roll. Prepare monthly rental charge notice and deliver to tenant 60 days prior to the effective increase date;
- Review and monitor accounts receivable. Reconcile accounts receivable accounts when required. Prepare accurate tenant chargebacks on a timely basis;
- Prepare property tax billings, for tenants not billed monthly, in accordance with the tenant leases and within 24 hours of receipt of the property tax bill;
- Maintain and clear tenant query log and ensure tenant files are current at all times;
- Ensure all GST and other legislated taxes are reconciled and remitted;
- Prepare monthly cash distributions;
- Prepare all CAM/tax recoveries adjustment billings in accordance with the tenant leases and that all adjustment billings are delivered to tenants within 90 days of year-end;
- Responsible for completing accounting portion of assigned budgets within assigned deadlines;
- Assist with auditor requirements, including the company’s audit firm and all partner/co-owner audit firms, as well as government audits when required;
- Ensure timely, accurate and complete leasing and disposition fees;
- Assist in the accounting of property acquisitions and dispositions and participate in the due diligence and statement of adjustment phases, as required;
- Continually monitor and review accounting processes and procedures and recommend changes as appropriate to improve internal controls and/or efficiencies;
The Property Accountant shall conduct him/herself in a respectful and ethical manner in representing the Trust’s interests. The Property Accountant shall demonstrate entrepreneurialism and behave like an “owner” in carrying out daily tasks and responsibilities; demonstrating creativity and resourcefulness in achieving desired results. The Property Accountant must take accountability for decisions made and the Property Accountant is expected to be a team player and work effectively with colleagues and associates in terms of input, sharing of ideas and working to achieve common goal.
We are an equal opportunity employer committed to an inclusive and accessible recruitment and selection process. If you are contacted about an employment opportunity, please advise if you require accommodation.
Job Type: Full-time
- Property Accounting: 3 years (Preferred)
- Accounting: 3 years (Preferred)