Purpose of Job:
This position is an Intermediate level with 3 to 5 years of work experience. The Help Desk/IT Administrator manages the company’s software (banking software, MS Office, Data/Business Intelligence, SharePoint, Paperless System) and hardware (desktops, servers, phones, portable devices, and audio/visual equipment). Plus working with external service providers to install and maintain the company’s technologies. In addition to the core functions the incumbent will also perform the technology side of the relocation of staff.
1. Desktop/laptop installation and support (30%) – procure and setup new desktops/laptops; perform problem diagnosis on desktop/laptop issues and execute fixes to ensure that desktops and laptops are operating correctly. User administration is part of this as well.
2. Project Execution (20%) – perform tasks under the directions of the Manager of IT and/or according to a project plan in a way such that the timeline of the project is observed and the requirements of the task are satisfied.
3. Software support (20%) – User support of MS Office including macros (VBA), SharePoint, paperless system (FileNexus), banking system (PPlus), and other business unit specific operational software.
4. Server and network administration (10%) – procure, setup, monitor, maintain, troubleshoot, and apply remedies for problems to the servers; administer user accounts; administer anti-virus; administer anti-spam; working with firewall service vendor on firewall administration; working with network service vendor on network administration; working with ISPs (Internet Service Providers) on internet connectivity issues; working with hot site vendor on hot site issues.
5. Phone set setup and support (5%) – setup new phone sets and provides first line of support on phone problems; escalate problems to our managed services vendors and track problems until resolution.
6. Portable Device setup and support (5%) – procure and setup new units, perform problem analysis on Blackberry issues and escalate to our vendor accordingly.
7. Printer setup and support (5%) – work with our printer service vendor to manage toner supplies, perform level one diagnostics on printer problems, escalate to printer service vendor on printer problems, and replacing toner cartridges.
8. Various administrative tasks (5 %) – these tasks including ordering equipment and supplies, shipping and receiving computer equipment, generating Purchase Orders, following up with vendors on shipments, creating reports to the Manager of IT, asset tracking, working with our security service company on security system issues, setting projectors and screens, setting up audio conference equipment, and relocation of staff. As well as, creating reports and answering questions from the Audit Department.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in an IT support role.
- A college diploma in computer science or equivalent is required. Higher accreditation (e.g. Bachelor of Computer Science) is an asset.
- Experience working in a banking or financial services environment is an asset.
- Good problem solving skills.
- The incumbent is expected to interact with everyone including executives and thus good verbal and written skills are important.
- Database administration experience is an asset.
- Knowledge of and ability to troubleshoot:
o General desktop software issues.
o Windows 7 issues.
o Windows Server 2008/2012 issues.
o Linux issues.
o AIX issues.
o Internet e-mail issues.
o Internet connectivity issues.
o VPN issues.
o Printer issues.
o Microsoft Office issues.
o Anti-virus issues.
o LAN issues.
o PC or laptop hardware issues.
o Intel server hardware issues.
o Smartphones issues.
o Miscellaneous computer hardware issues.