As a member of the Reinsurance & Exposure Management Team, this role will be responsible for Catastrophe data management and weather GIS modelling. This individual will work with a Sr. Actuarial Analyst to enhance technical peril based pricing models for personal and commercial property portfolios. Ensuring the insurance risks across the Canadian business are identified, managed, measured, monitored, and reported specifically as relevant to exposure and accumulation management thereby supporting long-term profitable growth of the Canadian business.
Keeping You Moving
RSA is one of the world’s leading multinational insurance groups with over 300 years of experience and over 20 million customers worldwide.Our people are committed to building a dynamic internal culture where our people love what they do and feel motivated to keep things moving – for customers, for their colleagues and as part of their own growth and development. In RSA, employing positive people is how we achieve success. You will be working in an environment that encourages you to do great work and you constantly will be faced with fresh challenges that have a direct impact on our business. We believe your personality and passion will keep RSA and our business moving forward. At RSA we have a culture that supports and rewards high performance with a competitive reward policy for top performers. Our rewards package includes competitive compensation, work / life balance, opportunities to learn and the chance to make a difference working for a worldwide industry leader.At RSA Canada, our purpose is to Make Life Better Together and we do that every day through our commitments to our people, our customers and our partners. We are committed to fostering an inclusive, fair, and accessible environment where every team member has the opportunity to reach their full potential and where everyone feels comfortable being their true selves. We hire on the basis of merit and we are committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes, as well as equal access to training and promotion opportunities.
Who you are
Your enthusiasm is infectious. You challenge the status quo. You find solutions to problems. You go the extra mile to exceed customers’ expectations. You get things done the right way. You represent our brand with passion and pride. You are a team player. You have fun and you make work fun for those working around you.
What you will achieve in this role
- Assist the Manager, Catastrophe Analytics in the development of technical spatial capabilities related to peril based pricing and catastrophe analytics.
- Work with Internal IT as well as external vendors to support technical enhancements to GIS capabilities
- Perform GIS claim analytics and diagnostics to support weather analytics activities
- Develop, design, and implement improvements and automation to the existing weather analytics processes
- Maintain appropriate documentation, compliant with documentation policies
- Increase business and technical knowledge through frequent liaison with colleagues in the business and actuaries in other units
- Stay abreast of industry trends, competitive activities, and current best practice with respect to GIS and Weather Perils spatial analytics
What you bring to this role
- University or college degree in data management, GIS analytics, statistics, or related field
- Excellent analytical, organizational, problem-solving, and documentation skills
- Excellent technical and computer (Excel, SQL) skills
- 2+ years Weather Analytics or GIS experience
- Knowledge of key factors that may impact various types of weather
- Hands on experience with understanding the impacts of weather using spatial analysis tools (ArcView, QGIS) and knowledge of how to merge various types of spatial data using tools and programming languages (PostgreSQL/PostGIS, SQL, or SAS)
- Strong communication skills (both oral and written)
- Out-of-the-box thinker, striving for innovate solutions to business and analytic problems
- Uncompromising standards on technical expertise and integrity
- Ability and willingness to continuously expand knowledge and skills through efforts during and outside of work, with an emphasis on new technical developments as well as leadership techniques
- Completion of ArcGIS (ArcView) certification or other spatial analyses certification is beneficial
Applicants agree that by providing personal information in response to this ad, and otherwise in any recruitment process with RSA or its affiliated companies (the “Company”) such personal information may be retained and used for a period of one (1) year from the date of this application, for the purpose of consideration for employment opportunities which may arise during that time period, unless an applicant notifies the Company to the contrary.We thank all applicants. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.We invite you to learn more about us at our Career Site, www.rsagroup.ca, where you can apply on line. RSA group of Companies is strongly committed to diversity and welcomes applications from visible minority group members, women, Aboriginal persons, and persons with disabilities, members of the LGBT community, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas.RSA group of Companies will provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities in the job application process.If you have difficulty using our online application system and you need an accommodation due to a disability, please email AODA@RSAGROUP.CA or call us at toll free 1 (800)-855-0511. Please note this email is only for accommodation requests. Resumes sent to this email address will not be considered.