DLA Piper (Canada) LLP is one of Canada’s leading law firms with a team of innovative, proactive and dedicated lawyers, administrative and support staff who serve our clients in Canada and around the world. We offer competitive salaries and benefits including a generous, top-rated employee pension plan.
We are currently looking for a Legal Assistant to join our Intellectual Property department in our Toronto office.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Independently manage the daily operation, administration and organization of a busy Patent Agent/Partner
- Docket incoming correspondence, monitor patent due dates and follow up accordingly
- Online filing of patent applications, responses to Office Actions and other materials
- Prepare and file Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT) applications and related materials
- Prepare client reporting letters
- Complete weekly and monthly reports for clients
- Process expense reports
- Communicate professionally with all internal and external clients
- Handle administrative details with respect to accounting, filing (paper & electronic), dealing with mail, opening and closing files, docketing, billing, etc.
- Manage a high volume workload with great accuracy and organization
Qualifications and Skills
- Minimum of 5 years of previous experience as an Intellectual Property Legal Assistant, preferably in the patent area
- Successful completion of a post-secondary education preferably in a Legal Assistant or Law Clerk program
- Knowledge of PATTSY is considered an asset
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills as well as thorough proofreading skills
- Strong technical skills using MS Office
- Ability to organize, prioritize work and meet deadlines with initiative
- Highly detail oriented, flexible, and a team player that is client service oriented
- Ability to use discretion when dealing with confidential information
Why work for DLA Piper (Canada)?
- Health benefits including extended health and dental, life insurance, AD&D, short and long term disability and emergency out-of-country travel
- Retirement savings benefits including a support staff pension plan (firm contributes to the plan and matches staff contributions to a maximum percentage of salary), and a Group RRSP where staff contributions can be deducted directly from pay
- Time off including competitive vacation time offering based on tenure with the firm and acknowledgment of all statutory and some non-statutory holidays
- Wellness benefits including an Employee and Family Assistance Plan and an annual fitness benefit
- Support for professional development expenses
- Team environment with staff events and celebrations
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
DLA Piper Canada encourages all Applicants with disabilities to contact DLA Piper Canada if they require accommodation during the recruitment process. DLA Piper Canada will consult with the Applicant and provide, or arrange for the provision of, suitable accommodation in a manner that takes into account the Applicant’s accessibility needs due to disability.
Job Type: Full-time
- litigation: 3 years (Required)
- Legal Assistant: 3 years (Required)